1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fairly new bassist. What amp to upgrade to?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Blackhawks55, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Hi all,

Been playing for about 5 months now! I have learned a HELL of a lot.. and it has definitely been a FUN journey.

As Christmas nears, I am looking to upgrade my amp. Using a Ibanez B10 practice amp right now, and a VOX headphone amp at night. I know.. I know.. the Ibanez isn't the greatest thing in the world, but I wanted to make sure I liked bass before dropping a lot of money on equipment.

I would like to get something for $200 or so. I am not playing in a a band or anything, but I do play with another guitarist occasionally as well as a drummer. I was told that the Ampeg B110 series would suit me well. I just want to clarify that I have a squier 20 year anniversary white p-bass. I'm not expecting a killer sound until I upgrade to a Fender in the near future.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much!

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

For that money you can get a used Peavey combo in good condition that can take you through to playing out.

3. THRAK2

THRAK2

Check out the Eden EC10U. $199 on amazon.

4. Taskig

Taskig

Hiho Blackhawks55!

Ive been doing pretty much the same as you have, upgrading from my first amp.
    After alot of time in forums like this one ive finally decided on TC Electronic BG250, but ive also been interested in Peavey TNT 600w and Peavey TKO 400w.

The Tc Electronics amp you pay around 300$, about the same for Peavey TKO and around 400$ for TNT.

Im gonna pick my TC Electronics BG250 any day now, so i can comment when i got it! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cheleveneno

cheleveneno

Don't forget to take a look at used gear - you might find a good deal, just make sure you check for speaker damage. I got my Ampeg SVT3Pro 450w with a BSE410HLF used for $500.

For your situation, I would lean towards higher wattage vs. boutique brand. Once you start playing with friends, you inevitably turn into a band, then someone is bound to get a half stack and you'll get pushed out of the mix pretty quickly. I started with a Squier P and a Behringer 60w combo with which I played many gigs (with and without PA), but was ultimately forced to upgrade to keep up with the rest of the band.

I second what Downunderwonder says: I've seen old Peavey TNT combos that sound good and hold their own playing live. A higher wattage combo will serve your purpose until you drop money on a big rig - because you want to, not because you have to.

I don't know anything about TC Electronics or Eden amps. I would assume the Eden to be of much higher quality, but 50 watts might not satisfy you for long. The 250 watts and cool features on the TC might make it a better option.

If you know other musicians, go to a jam session and check out their gear. Go to local concerts (no PA) and see what amps they use. Trying amps at a music store is pointless unless you bring your friends in and make some real noise.

Have fun - I'm sure you'll enjoy anything that is louder than your current amp. Don't forget the earplugs.

7. eriky4003

eriky4003

I'll qualify the earplugs statement. Get musician's earplugs. More expensive than the cheap yellow/orange foam ones but they don't cut the low frequencies (where we bassists dwell) so you can hear yourself play.

8. Crater

Crater

If you're going to be playing with a drummer, I'd really recommend an amp with AT LEAST 100 watts and AT LEAST a 1x15 or 2x10 speaker. Otherwise you will not be able to hear yourself.

The Acoustic brand bass amps sold by Guitar Center are good bang-for-the-buck amplifiers. A used Peavey is also a good option. The Ampeg 110 is a good practice amp, but will be completely drowned out by a drumset.

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The class d amps might be a bit more but they are lighter.