1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fairly new GK setup with buzzing

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 707GK, Feb 10, 2014.

1. 707GK

707GK

Very interesting problem I'm getting with my fusion550 + neo410(8ohm) + EBMM sterling 4HH, no effects, I jus run straight from my bass into the amp. I'm getting buzzing/ farting on sustain only, almost every note, regardless if it is a single note or a chord. The amp sounds fine if I'm riffing and don't let the notes sustain, and it can't be heard when playing with my band. We just did some recording and going direct or through just the head using the direct out in post eq mode, I wasn't experiencing this noise. This is my first amp with any kind of tubes in it...It sounds similar to what I've heard preamp tubes sound like going out, but this amp is less than a year old so I have trouble believing it's the tubes. Any suggestions? I haven't ever turned the gain or master knobs past 12 o'clock so I doubt anything is wrong with the speaker cabinet, but the fact that it's not happening in post eq direct out makes me hesitant to just rule out the cab at this point.

Thanks in advance
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

When was the last time you changed the battery in your bass?
  3. 707GK

707GK

I was hoping it was that, but I just put a new battery in over the weekend and it didn't help.
  4. dwjazz54

dwjazz54 Supporting Member

That was the first thought I had, too.

Maybe you could describe the sound in more detail?
  5. 707GK

707GK

It sounds as if you were listening to a radio station in your car as you are driving out of that radio stations reach. Very staticky
  6. 707GK

707GK

When I get off work I'll try to get a sound clip of it
  7. dwjazz54

dwjazz54 Supporting Member

I like the description!

Have you tried different cables? You might have a bad one.
  8. 707GK

707GK

I will try a different cable tonight, but the cable seemed fine when I was plugging direct into the sound board. And we used the same cable to record keys with no problems, that was just last weekend, maybe 8 or 9 days ago.
  9. bassgod0dmw

Dimmer switch in the room? Florecent lights?
  10. dave_p

dave_p

take a pencil and start tapping the tubes with the eraser end.

1 year means nothing in tube world, you can get a microphonic tube that was marginal right out of the factory.
  11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Set the head on the floor, preferably on a thick towel to isolate it from cabinet vibrations. If the noise does not occur, you have a bad pre-amp tube.
  12. 707GK

707GK

Awesome responses everyone, thank you for the input. I'll be taking my rig home from our practice space to try to isolate the sounds. From my experiences in bands with guitar players using tubes, it sounds a lot like a preamp tube going bad...but I guess I'm just surprised at how soon. Anyone know if my warranty will be bad if I change the tubes myself?
  13. 707GK

707GK

So I'm stumped. :confused: I brought my rig home from our practice space and tried various combinations of amps/cabs/cables and I can't get this sound to happen again. I plugged my 400RBIV into the neo410 in full range mode, I tried the fusion in biamp mode, I tried the fusion into a crappy little Crate 1x15....they all sounded great. I tried putting my settings at practice/gig level and my neighbor told me it was too loud (maybe about 1/3 gain & master...) so stopped my testing for the evening.

So it seems that the only time we can detect this noise is towards the end of our practice sessions, in our rehearsal space, with gain & master knobs between 10o'clock & 12o'clock. :mad:
  14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Not happening in post EQ di suggests a wonky speaker cable, or something in the cab itself. It seems like with a bad tube(s), the pa would sound bad too, but I'm just throwing out ideas here..........
  15. nashman

nashman

Electrical/power issues at your practice space?
  16. 707GK

707GK

It's probably something like this.

Electrical doesn't seem to be the best at the practice space....when using a crappy backup bass at times I will pick up radio signals and in between songs we get to listen to baseball games. Will power/electrical issues potentially cause any problems to the amp/speakers?
  17. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I wonder if a power conditioner would help?
  18. 707GK

707GK

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Gonna do some research and see which one is a good one, purchase one and see if it helps.
  19. bassgod0dmw

I highly doubt it would. They really don't condition anything, it's just a power strip in a box.

The backup bass issue you are having sounds more like a shielding issue with the bass, or a crappy cable.
  20. 707GK

707GK

So from what I've been reading (and by what you said above bassgod), power conditioners are essentially the same thing as power strips. I'm looking into voltage regulators, don't know for sure but it sounds like this could potentially help. but damn these things seem to be pricey.