1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fake Book Question?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LordDog, Oct 30, 2013.

1. LordDog

LordDog

Hi folks,

I keep seeing mention of Fake Books in various posts, and just wanted to get a better idea of what they are.

In my guitar playing days, I bought a few books that I would call 'chord books', which have treble clef, sometimes bass clef, but always chord boxes above the bar lines, showing where the chords change in relation to the lyrics; is this what is meant by a Fake Book? Or does it just mean a list of chord changes, like players stick to the floor at gigs?

This is the sort of book I mean:

http://tinyurl.com/qhmbfqf

Any help or advice always appreciated ;)
  2. elgecko

elgecko

3. LordDog

LordDog

OK thanks. So are these books mainly used for jazz then?

So, if I am playing pop or rock, then I could just get the chords (or chord boxes) and play root notes over those chords on the bass to get the same sort of thing that I would get from a fake book I guess. Better still, I can work out the chords myself and play roots or arpeggios on bass. I probably don't need a fake book then :D
  4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

5. LordDog

LordDog

Thanks MalcolmAmos. It is as I suspected, so for the sort of music I am playing at the moment (beginner stage) this sort of thing will be helpful in saving the time of working out the chords myself. I think I will wait a few years before tackling Jazz though :eek:
  6. elgecko

elgecko

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I use fake chord sheet music all the time. Play Country and Praise and fake chord is what musicians playing those styles pass among themselves. One of the first questions a band director will ask is; "Can you play from fake chord?" If you can you'll probably be asked to sit in.

Lot of people shy away from fake chord saying that it can not be trusted. True, what is on the Internet is someone attempt at what the chords are. I accept this and if I think something needs changing I change it. IMO fake chord gets me playing the song quicker than relying on my ear for the "correct" chords. Plus playing with others, if we all use and play from the same fake chord sheet music it's gonna be OK 9 times out of 10.

Yes jazz is another story and most do read and play from standard notation.
  8. Already In Use

Already In Use

I find using fake chord sheets and Real Book charts tools to get me going quicker as already mentioned by others. They also allow me to visualize the charts/sheets with the changes and the chords which helps with internalizing the music quicker than without them. Works for me! It's fun working on charts and sheets.
  9. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

Often times the chords to a tune in the Real Book were the ones used by some recorded version, and may be reharmonized compared to the original version of the tune. They may even have the name of the recording notated somewhere on the sheet. This is the source of much of the complaints about the Real Book having incorrect chords.