Fake Chinese Rickenbackers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellowinman, Oct 25, 2011.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Selling for about $300.00

Are they pure junk?

If I ordered one, could I be arrested?

I'm just curious. I'm probably happy enough with my Jazz anyway, but what do you all know about these?
  2. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
  3. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

another thread about this.

honistly they look like junk so i assume they'll be junk. ive never played a rick copy that sounded/felt like a rick.

however those 330's with the bigsbys look kinda cool
  4. waleross

waleross

For this money they should be as good Squires ( Hope) .....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PlanetariumERB

PlanetariumERB

They look pretty cool, but I guess that doesn't really mean a whole lot if it cant preform. However for $300 it certainly has caught my interest.
  7. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't like the look of this.

I hope my putting this thread here doesn't make anyone shell out their money.

I don't think this would be a good idea.
  8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Hey if they made a decent 5 string ... well I can't say Ric copy since they decided not to make them and the ones they made were crap ... Chinese Ric, I'd buy one!

I'm sure it won't sound like a Ric. (that will be bad) But it will "sort of" sound like a Ric. (that will be better) and It won't play like a Ric (in the case of a 5 string, hopefully that will be good!) and it will only "sort of" look like a Ric. But hey, at the price point, a "Halloween costume" Ric lookalike, may not be that bad a deal.

If only these clone makers figured out that if they made 5 and 6 string Ric-clones there is a market out there that the real company has decided to just ignore. And it actually just might force the company to think about building "real" basses again.

End rant.
  9. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Those chinese ric clones look pretty crappy. If you want a good ric clone, get one of the 70's lawsuit ones like the Greco, Electra, Univox, Aria, or Ibanez (do a search here on TB).
  10. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Don't forget, the pictures you see on the website are NOT pictures of the actual bass. Stay away from anyone that tries to pass off another bass as their own product. I wouldn't touch these with a ten-foot truss rod. Squiers are a known quantity, these are not. There's been reports of people sending in their money and not getting anyhting in return, as well as reports that (as I said) what they got was not what was represented on the website.
    Oh, and there is indeed a number of threads here on the forum about these basses. Do a search.
  11. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    This company is clearly ripping of Rickenbacker by not only copying their design, but by using their name as well. If you want a Rickenbacker, then save up and buy a real one. These companies are clearly engaging in criminal activity, and buying their products only means that you have now sunk to their level. Please support the companies that work so hard to develop the gear you love, by buying their products!
  12. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

I suspect there'd be problems importing these legally into the US and perhaps Canada given they're knock offs and not licensed copies. I'm not a copy kind of guy anyway so no chance of me being interested in buying junk and supporting people who don't respect another company's legal rights and property.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Sounds like flushing $300 down the toilet.
  14. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    As I said, (maybe not clearly enough,) I regret posting this thread.

I advise anyone reading it NOT to buy these pieces of crap.
  15. LowBstring

LowBstring

I wish I could upvote you.
  16. Nick901

Nick901 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    GTA dealer for Acoustic USA
  17. DaZombieWoof

DaZombieWoof

What's great is on the menu you can get guitars, basses, and even sex toys. One stop shopping?
  18. SirGrotius

SirGrotius

Name one thing you own that's made in china that's not crap. Case closed.
  19. theretheyare

theretheyare

...well, for starters each and every Apple product that you and I own....
  20. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

How many of these threads about fake Chinese Rics are there going to be?
  21. Audiophage

Audiophage

Wow, those tailpiece assemblies look like crap. The bridge is where the mutes are supposed to be.

And they say Made in USA on the nameplate. Haha.