1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

fake rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavaxtris, Dec 13, 2012.

1. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

2. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass

Disclosures:
    F CLEF LLC, Music Industry Consulting and Sales
    Fake. If they are for sale they are illegal copies. If they exist at all.

3. johnson79

johnson79

This company has been around for a while. Fake EVERYTHING. Fenders, Gibsons, Music Man, G&L, Rics.

I would be amazed if they made it across the ocean in one piece. Total garbage, and illegal knock-offs.

4. pedroims

pedroims

But they protect their pictures so nobody else can use them

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bill reed

bill reed

at first i though it was a Rockinbetter with a poor copy ric truss-rod cover but then i started to see so things like how the 21st fret marker is missing on there one and there is a big space between the pickguard and the bridge pickup, also looking at the grain of the wood its hard to work out if it really is a neck thu or a set neck. looking at the neck or the body of my Rockinbetter its easy to see it a three piece thro maple neck, on this one looking at the grain its so hard to tell what it is.
    it has the same Bridge as the Rockinbetter and the same bridge pick-up cover but does not have the check binding of the rock.
    I would not buy it if it has a Rickenbacker name on it as it is clearly made to decive.
    if you going to make Ric style basses then at least put on the name of the real maker, like Greco, Rockinbetter and not try and con people into thinking its a real Ric.

have a look at the left hand cherry one at the bottom of the add,
    also the pick-ups and bridge look so cheep. is this what you really get!!!!

7. Immigrant

Immigrant

The only way to morally purchase a Ric copy is by either buying a vintage Greco, Ibanez, or Univox, etc. In other words, the companies that stopped production when they were told to.

Those currently copying Rics needed to be inserted into a N Korean rocket and fired towards the Sun.

8. Immigrant

Immigrant

For some reason, I don't harbor such feelings about Fender knockoffs. Just Rics. I've owned a Ric before (not my thing) and can't afford one at the moment, but I still GAS over them. I still couldn't bring myself to buy a copy other than the ones I listed earlier. I would never get a Chinese copy. If it came down to either owning a Rockinpooper or no longer playing bass, I'd learn harmonica.

I think it was the put on the outside-North America distributors to file whatever to get them to stop selling Ric copies.

You guys can buy whatever you want and like em. It's cool.

9. kcole4001

kcole4001

'Like' or 'dislike' really is irrelevant.
    Trademark infringement is illegal no matter who the company being ripped off is.

Not bad enough just to copy the design, but using a fake TRC that says 'Rickenbacker' is equivalent to putting a fake Fender decal and trying to sell a parts bass as 'vintage'.
    In other words, scam, even though they're not trying to get $1500 for it, someone down the road might after replacing a few key parts making it hard for most people to spot the fact that it's a fake, and THAT is the whole point.

Gibson and Fender were pretty slack when it came to fighting to keep copies from being sold and have paid for it, while RIC has kept on top of it from the start.
    That's really the only difference. It's not a matter of opinion, it's an issue of protecting a company's intellectual property.
    Gibson and Fender should have been in the fight from the start, but had to play catch up years later and had less success at a higher cost.

It may well be a decent bass or better, but it's very much an infringement of trademark and quite illegal to sell in North America and Europe.
    Asian authorities don't seem to give a crap about N. Am. or Euro laws.

10. johnson79

johnson79

These are the instruments that people buy and try to resell on Craigslist as the real thing. This is Chinese piracy at it's best.