1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fakenbacker truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JustinBehling, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JustinBehling

JustinBehling

A friend of mine has a Fakenbacker from the 70s that is missing the truss rod. I told him that I would take a look at making a replacement. The slot for the rod won't fit a 3/16 inch rod. Is a 1/8 inch hardened steel rod strong enough?

2. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Strong enough for what purpose?

3. JustinBehling

JustinBehling

Is it strong enough to be a truss rod? Will it counter the pull of the strings on the neck or will it snap or fail in some other way?

4. Deep Cat

Are you talking about building a truss rod from scratch, or are you trying to replace a truss rod with a single piece of steel?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JustinBehling

JustinBehling

7. Deep Cat

Nice. The lmii truss rods I'm using have a rectangular steel rod with a squarish thing welded and threaded. The rectangular part of the truss rod is 1/8th x 1/4th x a bunch of inches.

I'm not an expert, by any means, so I'll say... maybe?

8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

IMO no, unless it has rolled threads.
    Even cut and polished will most likely seize and snap pretty soon.

If You can be absolutely sure that the curve wasn't made with a center block that has vanished with the TR, you have to take the FB off anyway, so why not just route the neck for a modern double acting TR?

Regards
    Sam

9. M0ses

M0ses

How does a truss rod just go missing?

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

The riveted/threaded/spot welded anchor detaches from the rod, and a "tech" pulls the TR off and won't be able to do anything to it.
    Feasibly anyway.
    The rod is then either discarded or used in another build and the rest of the instrument starts to live up to one of the P.T. Barnums better known phrases.
    Ain't talking about "The Great Escapade" either :).

Happens (or at least happened in the 80's anyway) more often than people care to admit ;).

Regards
    Sam