Famous Bassists' Instruments?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by nsams73, Nov 15, 2012.

1. nsams73

nsams73

Finding information on what professional bluegrass guys like Todd Phillips, Mike Bub, Mark Schatz, etc. are playing has been difficult. Anybody know specifically what instruments these guys and others are playing? Thanks!

2. nsams73

nsams73

3. nsams73

nsams73

"I use solid-wood carved basses.... my main instrument is a Framus factory bass (German) from possibly the 1940-50s.... no date on label." - Todd

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Cary Black was playing a 1920's era Czecho-Slovakian bass when we saw him with Kathy Kallick last Sunday. He was also using a Series 2 FDeck Pre! ;)

He really made the band sound good, too - a terrific player.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nsams73

nsams73

Also received this from Tyson Alteri (who plays guitar with Mike Bub) when I asked about Mike's gear: "I think its a 38' blond Kay with a mute on the bridge."

Pretty cool of these guys to answer emails and messages on their websites.

7. bassmandan81

bassmandan81

Bub plays Kays but he doesn't play a '38, at least not any more. He's got a 60's S-1 and a 50's M1-B. The S-1 has been hotrodded by increasing the neck angle with shims in the mortise.

Lots of bluegrassers like American Standards. Marshall Wilborn plays one, and I know Barry Bales uses a '36 for most of his studio work.

Todd Phillips' Framus is a beast. I'm trying to find an old Framus like that, so if anybody has a line on one please let me know.

Wish I could've heard Cary Black's bass, my dad said his tone was incredible.

I've switched from a ply to a hybrid for my main axe... better tone and sustain. It's a Shen 150, and I LOVE it.

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey Dan, good to hear from you on TB! Cary was a treat but we kinda missed you with Kathy... ;)

Don't restrict yourself to looking for a Framus; many German shop basses from that period are good instruments that fit multiple genres.

9. truckplayer

truckplayer

Mike Bub also plays a Chadwick Folding bass. It's based on a Shen 100 model. I discovered that information as I was checking out the bass.