Far fetched idea

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by melodiaopus, Nov 17, 2012.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Hi Janek,

I'm a huge fan of yours and have been following you for quite some time, probably since you're first podcast. I know that being a highly sought after bassist and clinician has taken up a lot of your time. Not to mention your website and creative mind composing tunes. But I had a few questions to ask you that may be a little far fetched, but it's better for me to ask than not.

Let me start by saying that I have been playing for about 12 years and have been really serious about being a bassist and musician for the last 3 or four years. I have been accepted to Berklee College of Music with a half scholarship. But, I wanted to weigh some options for myself. I live about 10 hours North of Los Angeles, which I know you reside now. So, my question is: Could there be a chance that I can some how take private lessons with you? I would move down to LA and not go to Berklee if this was at all a possibility. I have been subscribing to your videobasslessons website for quite some time now, plus I have bought your book. But I feel a disconnect and need for more specific focus on my instrument. You're playing and knowledge is the same direction I would like to take my playing.

I just want to weigh my options from going to Berklee to studying from my favorite bassists. I have my B.A. in Music from a local University that was a total waste of my time. The school's music program was very grim and I have learned more from your lessons than I did in the 2 years I attended school. So, with that being said I think that my focus and drive compares to what is needed and wanted from a professional musician. It would be a dream of mine to be your apprentice or you my mentor.

Sorry for this long drawn out question, but it's something that I have been dreaming about for a long time. I can send you video clips of my playing if you're thinking that I am an amateur. To make you realize that I am dedicated to reach my goals as a musician and a bassist.

Thank you,

Continue to inspire and create.

-Adam Prado

2. janekbass

janekbass

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    Adam,

thanks for your kind words and your detailed post.

The main thing about going to a school like berklee, and something I or any other private teacher couldn't provide you with, is a network.

I unfortunately don't have any time in my schedule to teach privately anymore, but I would recommend berklee either way. You'll learn things about yourself and your playing that no other situation besides being around your peers can teach you.

Videobasslessons.tv, private lessons, and youtube and books etc... can be great supplemental information and learning material. But there's nothing like being in the midst of like minded people on a daily basis.

I would go to berklee at the drop of a hat again if I had the chance!

Janek

3. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Janek,
    Totally understandable. Thank you for your insight and path, though I am sort of starting a bit late to go to a school like that, I'm 29 years old. I'm just trying to get my foot in the door into the scene and really push myself to a successful career as a bassist.

Thanks for all the inspiration.

-Adam