1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Farewell My Friend. I Love You.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by deeptubes, Feb 1, 2014.

1. deeptubes

deeptubes

So, we're leaving Massanutten today. Fun and relaxing family vacation. Stop for gas before we head out. Shelby gets a text from our house sitter saying that Tanner has not moved from where the spot he had been in for 2 days. We knew his hips were getting pretty bad, and for several months we had been trying to mentally prepare ourselves for what seemed inevitable. It was a very quiet, somber drive home. We cried for quite a bit of it. Got home, he was still in the same spot. Helped him stand up. He took a couple of very unstable steps and his rear legs gave out. Couldn't get back up. We spent some time loving him, knowing what we had to do. We have known this day was coming, but still felt emotionally unprepared. Put him in the car. He didn't want to go. I think he knew. I tried to take my time driving to the vet. Every second felt precious. They knew we were coming and took us right in. We spent his last minutes on this Earth with him and were giving him some love when it happened. First, a relaxant. Then, the final one. After about 15 seconds, his breathing became progressively more shallow. I watched his chest take his last tiny breath, and then he was gone. Tanner was an integral part of our family from the time we brought him home, 5 weeks old, until he drew his last breath, 13 years 25 days old. I love him very much and will miss him dearly. Can't stop the tears. :_(

Tanner Breault 1/7/01-2/1/14
    Rest in peace my friend, the pain is gone. I'll see you when my time comes.
  2. Vcell

Vcell

I'm so sorry for your loss. He'll be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.
  3. bassteban

bassteban

Never easy. Pets are often the best part of a family
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You gave the dog a great home & family. There's nothing more you can do.
  5. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

So sorry you guys had to go through that. The best thing you could've done was be there with him until the end, and he loves you guys very much for that.

rip tanner
  6. fmoore200

fmoore200

I can tell you love Tanner very much. I'm sorry for your loss. :(
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

He was a good boy.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Run free, Tanner, and hurt no more.
  9. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

I feel your pain as I look at a pine box on my headboard, where my best friend, "ALLY", rests in a special cut-out in my headboard. Holding my 115 lb.Labrador, as he went to sleep for the last time will always haunt me as long as i live as the hardest thing, I have ever done. Rest well sweet prince "Tanner", no one will ever take your place.
  10. edpal

edpal This one, she's not just another pretty face. Gold Supporting Member

Sorry bro - sucks, been there. Cool thing is he had a loving family, not one who forgot to feed him, treated him bad. I'm sure he had a great life and you made it happen.
  11. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Anyone that didn't feel some emotion when reading that has never loved a dog before. I am sorry for you're loss, you gave him a great life . My buddy is 9 years old and I cherish our time together.
  12. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

And........now i'm crying too.

I mean, uh, i have something in my eye. I don't cry over...dogs..that i didnt know..that would hmm...make me crazy or something.....

Anyway, courage. And my sympathies. It's always hard. With humans we get parting words... well in the best cases anyway. With pets we cant...we can't really let them know exactly. How we feel, ho glad we were that they shared out lives. We can't explain.
  13. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    I am so sorry.
  14. Basshappi

Basshappi

My condolences Deeptubes.
  15. Gazman

Gazman Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear such sad news. I feel your pain, my dog Rafferty (also born 2001) is going downhill, and as tough as it is, will need to be put down.

Tanner sounds like a great dog, you helped him when he needed you the most.
  16. scottiwkt

scottiwkt Supporting Member

RIP Tanner and deeptubes, you'll be in my prayers, in hopes that the hurt will quickly pass and you can focus on remembering the good times with Tanner.

Brings a tear to my eye and makes my heart melt every time I read about the loss of a pet. After being in the military, law enforcement, and private security for years, I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing the worst humanity has to offer. I've become jaded to the point of preferring the company of animals to that of people. Pets have no malice in their hearts, do not lie, cheat, or steal (except for snatching the occasional treat from an unattended plate...lol). They never complain, only want their basic needs met, and to give/receive love with their owners.

My gf laughs at me for how much I spoil my pets. I'm of the opinion that we have such a relatively short time with them, that damn right, I'm going to spoil them every chance I get!

It's a sad day when a noble, loving, trusting creature such as Tanner takes his last breath on this planet. The hurt can be unbearable, but worth it in the end. It's hard to extend love and put yourself out there for the inevitable pain that will someday come, but the chance to enrich our lives, and for us to enrich theirs is a choice I've made repeatedly. The love, respect, and friendship between pet and owner is something I treasure, making it all worth it.

Hang in there, it gets better...honor Tanner's memory by remembering all the good times. The pain will eventually recede.

Sorry for your loss, bro.
  17. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Tanner.
  18. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Our pets touch us so deeply and in so many ways.
    Stay strong.
  19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Deeptubes, I know more than I ever wanted to about how you feel right now and I'm so sorry that you're going through it.

I buried my dalmation, Polka (because she had dots. Get it?) in our back yard about nine years ago. The tree I planted over her is pretty substantial now. We didn't get to bury Honey because she ran away and was hit by a car. We only found out days later when someone called about one of our lost dog posters.

I'm really not looking forward to that Vet trip. We have several dogs. But only one is very clearly MY dog. Unfortunately, Jazzy is our oldest dog and she's getting fairly puny. She's only twelve or thirteen, so I hope I have a while before it gets to be time for that particular trip to the vet. But in the last year or so she has slowed down a lot and started getting several skin tumors. It's pretty ominous.
  20. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Tears in my eyes.

God Bless you, my friend.