1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fast jazz runs?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Exemonium, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

Howdy folks,
    Hadrien Feraud just posted a nice quick vid of crazy jazz solo stuff on his facebook page. I definitely want to be able to do that but I have no clue where to begin , what exercises, etc. I've been asking for a while and nothing has clicked yet.

I'm assuming it's a lot of arpeggios, but what else?

2. Jamerman

Jamerman

Well I think the first thing to do would be to make sure you can play however fast you need to cleanly (I haven't seen the vid so I wouldn't know how fast exactly), so some basic speed excercises (which there's a billion of on the interweb anyway) would do you good.

The next thing would be to listen (I don't mean surf the web while it's playing, I mean just fully concentrate on the music) to some jazz, and when you hear a fast run you like (Any instrument will do), transcribe it down. You might also wanna make a note of the chords they're playing while this is happening, and try it out in different keys. Try it against different chords too.

Making variations on these licks is one way to get a good repetoire of things to use. Another way would be take a scale, and playing it using intervals. So if I want to play a C major scale ( C D E F G A B) in thirds, I would play C E D F E G and so on. This works for any interval and by combining different patterns you can make a lotta little runs.

Hope this helped :)

3. Exemonium

That was helpful thank you. I guess its just tough to decipher what's actually happening in fast jazz solos. I'd like to create some through improv, but I haven't unlocked that bag if tricks yet. I guess I'm looking for the keys to doing that.
    If I sat down and wrote a solo note by note that could be a good starting off point?

4. maturanesa

maturanesa

I think is more difficult to get his accuracy than his speed. Probably you should get serious stretching on the left hand and hit every note consistently. The speed part is practice until you get it...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

I think you were talking about the following video.

"Hadrien's woodshedding at 7a.m."
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152511334044782&set=vb.691884781&type=2&theater
    It's funny, but also serious enough to show Hadrien's blazing "la Paganini" technique.

Here is another video with Hadrien Feraud on Bass.
    (Please note, Hadrien was only 17 years old.)

"Snox! alternative take from the Uturn album by Sebastiaan Cornelissen"

When I was 17, I could not play at that kind of level.
    What's more, if at any time during my bass career, other musicians thought that I was playing something similar to what Hadrien played at 17, I would be able to say, "I made it!".

About your question on arpeggios.
    It tells me that you are just starting your bass player journey; therefore, don't rush, but be very dedicated, ask questions, but also try to get there on your own, always challenge your boundaries, but don't develop some kind of "Carpal Tunnel", get out of your "comfort zones", but don't get upset, etc...
    It's a long drive, sit down and relax.

7. Exemonium

I'm not so much starting my bass player journey, but my lead bass and jazz lead especially.
    I play a lot where I get handed sheet music, or someone says "learn ____ song" and I just read, copy , or ape. Rarely do I get to create. But things like that I'd love to do. Lead and solos are a different type of thing to me.

8. Exemonium

Well I didn't necessarily mean his exact things, that's only what prompted me to ask. But once work chills out after the holidays, I'll have to do that!