1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fast runs with a pick question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheGrooveDude, Sep 17, 2013.

1. TheGrooveDude

TheGrooveDude

A question for "mostly pick" players.

Do you angle your pick when you play fast?

I see guitar players angle their pick 45 degrees so it slice through the string easily. But the same technique is quite awkward on bass. By angling the pick either side, I get an ugly scratchy sound or i'll be holding the pick between my tip of thumb and index (very uncomfortable, but less scratchy sound). If i hold the pick parallel to the string, it seems to be a hindrance if i want to play faster, but i get a good tone out of this angle. I always try to use as little of the tip as possible.
  2. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I can't play the really fast stuff with the pick parallel to the string, you do get the scratchy sound you can't hear live, John Campbell is a good example of this, at the end of the video he plays a riff and it sounds really scratchy but you never hear the pick noise with the band playing.

3. ChunkyMunky

ChunkyMunky

When I was a guitar player, mine was dead and straight on. Check any good lesson from a guitarist on alternate picking and you should be pretty good go. Are you using a thick or relatively thin pick?
  4. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I angle the pick only for tone, i.e. that scratchy sound.
    The fastest rolls are done by choking up on the tip as far as you can,
    thumb parallel to the string, pick perpendicular to the string,
    and rotating the whole wrist with the forearm as an "axle", as you would if slapping (though the hand posture is different), in a tiny motion as if vibrating.

That's for rolls (one note, many plucks).
    For runs the limiter is my left hand as my right can easily outrun it.
    practice practice practice.

Does that make sense?
  5. TheGrooveDude

TheGrooveDude

I've tried other picks and settled for the blue triangle Jim Dunlop tortex 1mm. That scratchy sound is not really my thing.

Yea i can play fast rolls on a single note. I think its when the line involves crossing strings that slow me down i think. I guess i just hv to use the "pick choked up and parallel to string" method and practice...
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I don't always play with a pick ... but when I do it is angled ...