Fat-Chuncky Precision neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eno50, Dec 14, 2013.

1. eno50

eno50

Thinking about a winter project,,
    I have search the web and TB and I can not find any info on where I might buy a P-bass neck..
    I'am looking for the chunckiest I can find ,can anyone point me to somebody that sells one finished or unfinished,,,,Precision or tele style headstock?
    Thick C or thick U at least 1" at the nut and 1" or a little more at the 12th...
    Also I'a wondering what was the largest ,chunckiest
    4-string P-bass neck fender ever put out? does anyone know?
    Thanks Eno

2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Now this man is on the beam.

3. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

You can get necks here: http://stores.ebay.com/The-STRATosphere

The Steve Harris P bass supposedly has a very chunky neck (I say supposedly b/c I haven't had a chance to play one). I haven't seen any SH necks at this place though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eilif

Eilif

Have you looked at warmoth? I've got one of their p-bass necks and its a beast. They show you the measurments of their necks on their site so you can judge for yourself. They are also available in P or Tele headstocks.

7. cstar

cstar

^^ agreed. I have a Warmoth jazz bass neck and it is very chunky. Possibly the chunkiest I've ever seen. It almost doesn't taper down at all. They also add steel stiffening rods which make their necks very strong. I play with 55-110 Ernie Ball roundwounds in standard and I have incredibly low action. I had two other necks prior to this one which would never stay straight.

8. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

All parts necks are pretty fat from those that I have seen.

As for older Fender necks (pre cnc) the profiles can vary slightly as there was more hand sanding of the necks within their production.

A good example of this is a 72' I own with what was referred to as a light U in a article I read by Dan Erlewine in an old issue of Bass Player. it's pretty much that early 50's profile only slightly more rounded on the edges and it's a B neck rather than a C.

The only explanation I've ever heard for this sort of thing is that different factory workers shaped different necks.
    Another funny one is a friend’s 62 jazz I checked out awhile back that had the thinest neck I've ever encountered on a vintage Fender.

9. cstar

cstar

I had an allparts jazz bass neck with the telecaster headstock. It was a very nice neck but it didn't like heavy strings. It would never stay straight with anything but 45-95's on it.