1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fat, no treble, bass sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by freaken00, Feb 24, 2013.

1. freaken00

freaken00

Hi

I have been looking everywhere for anyone to know what sound this is. I can't really describe it other than fat, and no treblish, but I was hoping that someone could hep me with that.

Thank you in advance :)

The sound I was talking about. It goes it goes through to 3:30.
  2. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

Sounds like a wah cocked in a pretty low spot. You could use a low pass filter or maybe a parametric eq, if has a versatile enough Q adjustment.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Sounds to me that sound you're looking seems really simple. if you have a passive bass, roll back the tone knob. if you own an active bass, roll back the treble boost and set the bass boost half way. but if it's a pedal you're looking to make that sound, a bass boost would do the job.
  4. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Definitely roll that tone knob back. On your amp's EQ, drop some treble and bump some bass.

Another pedal that could help is an EQ pedal. Leave your amp as it is and play with the settings of the pedal. The MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss GEB-7, and Empress Para EQ are all good options for different budget ranges.
  5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I achieve this effect with an envelope-controlled filter (Ibanez AF-9, same as the Maxon...but any auto-wah/Mutron thing with similarly comprehensive parameters should work). You set the filter type to Low Pass, and then turn the Sensitivity and Peak controls all the way down so that no matter how hard you play the filter never opens up above a relatively low fc.

Instant Family Man Barrett tone!
  6. Boompow

Boompow

Flat wounds, tone rolled back, tweeter disabled.
  7. taurus1

taurus1

a DOD FX-25 or FX-25B with the sensitivity knob backed off will do that really well, way fatter than just backing off the tone knob.
  8. cst bass

cst bass

+1 on that.
  9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

I use a P-Bass with flats (tuned FCGC), tone rolled off into a Tech 21 Red Ripper fuzz. Dime the lows, 0 on mids,highs,RIP. then I use the level at unity and drive at 09:00. Leave the LPF on and you have SUPER DUB!
  10. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Another +1. This is exactly what I use the FX-25 for on my board. Turning the depth up creates more depth and resonance, too.
  11. Basstardus

Basstardus

hahaha, that's the way I use it for fun on stage for a rettling low end effect, but I also use flatwounds with 12" speakers without tweeters/horns
  12. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Ehx mole will di rhis
  13. Boompow

Boompow

My bass has two p's so I can set the neck position fat and deep then I have the bridge set kinda opposite more for slap then the middle switch is a real nice versatile even tone. I love having that 3 way switch instead of just blending with knobs.
  14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

+1

A foam mute would do a lot of good too! Sounds particularly good on a P-bass IME
  15. Boompow

Boompow

Sometimes I use a cigar to mute as well usually if there's a stale one laying around or I can't find anything else to shove in there lol