Fat Rat & Metal Rat mods for bassists

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ocoaibass, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

I have been looking through the AMZ ebook on Rat mods & am curious if any of you have done these mods. The text seems to be geared towards guitarists, which leaves me slightly dubious as to their applications for bassists.

The Metal Rat seems to introduce a mids scoop, ala Big Muff, but I can't tell how much that would differ from the Filter knob as I'm still rubbish when it comes to reading schematics.

The Fat Rat seems to turn it into soke sort of overdrive, which to me, sounds like a step in the wrong direction. I use a Rat to get aggressive & grindy, but a little better articulation may be fun.

That being said, I'm intrigued by the whole compensation cap and op amp situation. He suggests changing to a 5534 or TL071 & removing this cap. If I double stack LM308N chips, would I want to remove or keep this cap?

Lastly, has anyone tried any part or all of one of these mods or op amp changes? I am very curious about the chip swaparoo as I've got mine socketed & it would be easy to play around, just not cheap since I'd have to buy some more chips.