1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FatStrings Shortscale Flying V Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FatStrings, Nov 22, 2010.

1. FatStrings

FatStrings

This is my latest project that I'm building for a friend. It's basically a Gibson shape but built like a Fender. Bolt on slab neck and single coil pups. This is the first build that I'll make the neck too.

It will be similar to my Strat bass dimension wise. Same neck width and scale. I even use a Musicmaster bridge. You can see my Strat bass build here
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=592506

Here's the CAD drawing that I'll be building to
    [​IMG]
  2. FatStrings

FatStrings

Cherry was chosen for the body wood. The bass will most likely be painted so the grain isn't important. I really like working with cherry. It machines real nice and has a good medium density feel to it.

This slab of rough cut American cherry was around $20 at my local hardwood supplier, Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH. They have several shelves full of 3-4' long cutoffs of many different species of woods. The place is like a candy store to me :p

[​IMG]
  3. FatStrings

FatStrings

First I have to make an accurate template so that I can do a layout on the plank. This is thick poster board and I just mounted a pen in my machine to do the outline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. FatStrings

FatStrings

I decided to layout the body halves like the original Gibson V's were. The grain will be at an angle to the center glue joint instead of parallel.

[​IMG]

I cut out the basic shape. It's starting to look like a Flying V already!

[​IMG]
  5. ksihawk7

ksihawk7

subscribed.
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Great build.

Totally OT, but I always love it when I see a Series I in anyones workspace. IMHO one of the best machines ever designed.

Regards
    Sam
  7. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Subscribed.

Moonshine :bassist:
  8. FatStrings

FatStrings

Thanks Sam :)

Yeah. I love my Bridgeport mill! especially with the ProtoTRAK Edge control. Makes it a 2 axis conversational CNC. Quite handy.
  9. FatStrings

FatStrings

I don't have a jointer, and for this part of the build, a hand plane doesn't appeal to me much. So I put the cutout halves on my machine table and side mill the joint with a nice new sharp endmill. It gets a really straight and smooth cut.

[​IMG]

I decided to strengthen the body joint with a sort of biscuit. I mount the halves perpendicular to the machine table with a large angle block and mill out a 1/4" channel in each halve.

[​IMG]
  10. FatStrings

FatStrings

Another look at the milled out channel.

[​IMG]

Here I mill out the biscuit itself out of a scrap of the cherry. The two pieces will make one long wedge when glued in.

[​IMG]
  11. FatStrings

FatStrings

It sits in like so

[​IMG]

This shape is kind of awkward to clamp while gluing. So I glued these scraps on to help out.

[​IMG]
  12. FatStrings

FatStrings

Body pieces ready for gluing.

[​IMG]

Here it is glued and clamped. I like to leave these things overnight when I can just to be safe.

[​IMG]
  13. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

This already looks awesome.

What will the pickups be like? Same as your Strat-style?
  14. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Cool!

Subbed.
  15. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

very nice indeed, I will follow this :D
  16. FatStrings

FatStrings

Yes, almost identical.

Thank you!
  17. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

Subscribed. This looks like it will be an interesting build.
  18. FatStrings

FatStrings

Ok, glue dried. I've cut off the clamping scraps, double sided tapped to the machine table and skimmed the top nice and flat with a fly cutter. Ready to profile the body shape.

[​IMG]
  19. FatStrings

FatStrings

Body profiled and my program center hole milled. This will help me find my center again, should I move the machine head in or out or if I happen to lose electricity while running a program ( happens ever so often around these parts).

[​IMG]

Got the Strat style input jack recess, control holes, bridge mounting holes and pickup ring holes in.

[​IMG]
  20. FatStrings

FatStrings

Added pickup recesses and the neck pocket. It's starting to look cool!!

[​IMG]