1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Faux Acoustic guitar build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by gitlvr, Jan 13, 2012.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr

Hi there! Thought I'd post another build thread. I have this build posted on the TDPRI, so I am essentially transferring it over here. I hope it will be of interest to some here, even though it is a guitar build, and not a bass build.
    Also, this build may take a while, since I'm starting kind of late in the year. If I don't reach finish stage before colder weather sets in, it could end up being late spring 2012 before I'm done.
    Before I get started, I need to tell you a little about the reasons for this build.
    I am strictly an electric guitar player. For physical reasons, the electric is much more comfortable for me. i have acoustics, but seldom play them anymore. This would not be a problem if I didn't love the sound of an acoustic guitar so much. Or if it didn't lend itself so well to one of the main types of music(Gospel) that i play regularly. So this build is basically an attempt at a crossover between the two. This is nothing new, as it has been done before by a few manufacturers, like Taylor. But this is my version. I really have no concept of how other types have been built. This is my attempt to achieve what I'm looking for. Basically, an electric sized guitar that gives me a good acoustic tone through the PA.
    So, on with the build!
    I have some lovely white ash laying around just begging me to build with it. So, what i basically did was take an old parlor guitar I had laying around, reduced it's size to 12.5" across the lower bout, and about 17.5" long(electric guitar size, roughly), and added a cutaway. Then I built templates for this shape. Here it is drawn on the body blank.
    [​IMG]
    After cutting with the jigsaw.
    [​IMG]
    And routed to the template.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. gitlvr

gitlvr

So far, so good. Except for this:
    [​IMG]
    While i was routing around the body, i failed to pay attention to the grain direction. This chunk of wood the router ripped out is the result. Ouch!
    However, I found the missing chunk, slapped some glue on it, and clamped it back in place.
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't look very pretty, but I promise, it'll be o.k.;)
  3. gitlvr

gitlvr

Took the treble horn out of the clamps and finished routing.
    [​IMG]
    Turned out good. Told ya not to worry.:wink:
    [​IMG]
    Time to start on the body cavity. Here it is with template attached.
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a drill press, so I have to do this by hand. I chucked a 1.25" forstner bit in my hand drill.
    [​IMG]
    The tape will help me to judge depth. Not exact, but it'll be close enough.
  4. gitlvr

gitlvr

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Coming along.
    [​IMG]

There, that's better.
    [​IMG]
  5. gitlvr

gitlvr

Once i hogged out the cavity with the forstner bit, I began cleaning it up, using a small hand plane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here it is all cleaned up (mostly).
    [​IMG]
  6. blubolt

blubolt

talk about taking the long way...... on the other hand, it looks quite interesting. subscribed!
  7. gitlvr

gitlvr

thanks, blubolt!
    As for taking the long way, you work with what you've got.;)
  8. gitlvr

gitlvr

That's as far as I can go on the body at the moment.
    On to the neck portion of this exercise.
    Got some more curly maple left after my P Bass build. Using a fine tooth handsaw, I cut the scarf.

[​IMG]
    After cleaning the joint up with a hand plane, it's on to glue and clamps.

[​IMG]

That'll sit at least over night. More to come.
  9. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Unusual. I'mma follow. :)
  10. gitlvr

gitlvr

Welcome, Stealth.
  11. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Taking notes.
  12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Dude, your the man. I don't think I could do what you do with the tools you have at your disposal. Keep up the good work.
  13. roberthabraken

roberthabraken

Subscribed! Interesting approach, taking notes.
  14. reverendrally

reverendrally

I like it. HUGE rout there. Wonder what it will sound like?
  15. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

Assuming - as I normally do - that the view into the routed area is the back of the body, are you going to incorporate some sort of block to support the bridge?
  16. gitlvr

gitlvr

Thanks for all the interest, guys!
    SurferJoe46, that's the view from the front of the guitar. The back is at the bottom of that cavity. This guitar will get a thicknessed and braced acoustic top.
    Reverendrally, hopefully it'll sound like an acoustic (through an amp or PA).
  17. gitlvr

gitlvr

I took the neck out of the clamps. The scarf joint slipped a little( as usual), so I need to clean that up and make certain the face of the neck blank is flat and level.
    [​IMG]

A good hand plane makes short work of this.
    [​IMG]

Once i got that taken care of, I drew out the neck and headstock on the blank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
  18. gitlvr

gitlvr

After cutting this out with the jig saw, i attached the neck template with double stick tape.
    [​IMG]

And here it is routed to the template.

[​IMG]

And with the truss rod routed and installed.

[​IMG]
  19. gitlvr

gitlvr

Moving on to the fretboard. It is Indian Rosewood. i really like the grain and look of this board.

[​IMG]

I finally got a decent fret saw. Bought the StewMaw Japanese one. I highly recommend this saw. I use it with a cheap plastic mitre box I have laying around. It does the job just fine.

[​IMG]

After I finish cutting the slots, it's on to glue and clamps.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for looking. More to come.
  20. reverendrally

reverendrally

You're a machine! gonna have this done in no time. :)