1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fave 5 String For a Classic P Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bachlover, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Sorry everybody, forgot to mention that I'm looking for a 5er. :oops: Any comments on a 5 that gives that Motown type bottom?
  2. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Try the squier vm p5, I honestly love mine, plus the sunburst and white are good looking
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Fender American Standard P5. A a P-bass with a low B. As simple as it gets.
  4. Thumper

Thumper

My American P5 has more bottom, my Squier VM P5 has more growl but can get good bottom, just not as much as the P5. My Roscoe can out P bass either, but it would list at $6,700 so it had better ;)
  5. bachlover

Looking like the American Std. I played one yesterday and it felt great. Really well made & it looks nice with the trad sunburst.
  6. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

I don't think you can get closer to a P bass than with and actual P bass.
  7. qwench

qwench Supporting Member

Just wanted to chime in here...I owned one of the Fender American P5's for about a year and I am missing it...it really is a great choice...as someone mentioned and as I have quoted on here before...it IS that simple...a Fender America P with a Low B...mine was right at 9lbs too and balanced very nicely...great bass for the $$ for sure!!
  8. bachlover

I went with the Am. Std. P and I'm glad I did. Even happier I put the flats on it. Love the tone and the feel of the flats. Can't believe I've been playing all these years & let this great classic pass me by. Time to start making up for lost time!
  9. darrenmt

darrenmt

You'll be surprised. The Lakland/Skyline 55-64 sounds nails that vintage tone and sounds more oldschool than the Fender Am Std P5. I am assuming that you mean oldschool r&b vibe when u say motown? I played one in a store the other day and was surprised at how modern the P5 sounded in comparison. Both strung with nickel wounds.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Apparently Mike Lull designed his P5 to sound like his 62 Fender Precision.

I've got a Lull PJ5 (I hardly use the J) and I'd recommend it for anyone wanting a great, solid, 5 string P bass sound. Especially with flats.

I've played good basses for years, Lakland, Wal, Stingray, but my Lull gets more compliments than all of the others put together.
  11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

The strings are just as important as the pickup! For the Jamerson sound get the LaBella Jamerson Flatwound set- just make sure your B tuner post is man enough to accept the leader of that B string, it's a freakin bridge cable!
    Anyways, the sound of Motown is the sound of Flatwound strings.
  12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Lakland 5564 with hanson vintage pickups and flats...
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I love my Roscoe PJ.

[​IMG]
  14. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I had Curtis Novak rewind my stock pick up to give it a vintage sound, added a Tonestyler tone control and Sadowsky black label flats to my P5.
    It is my number one R&B and blues bass. It sounds great.
  15. Thumper

Thumper

Mine has stock PUPs, Sadowsky Black Label SS strings and an Orange Drop. Even with the SS, it sounds as P as I could ask for, I wouldn't let anyone touch the stock PUPs, there's some magic going on here I don't want messed with!