1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fave Bass For a Classic P Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bachlover, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Considering a P for the classic Motown type bottom. Learned so much on the maple vs. RW thread I posted, I thought that I'd throw this one out there before I pull the trigger. What's your fave bass for that classic tone (besides a vintage Fender P - don't have that kind of $!).

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Try a MIM Classic '50s P. Watch for a used one for the best value. Tone-wise, my Classic '50s stands up to any of my P-Basses. However, if you hate a 1.75" nut width, you wouldn't like it. If that's not an issue, you'll probably love it.

3. Marton

Marton

I'm pretty happy with my 2004ish Lakland Bob Glaub for those kind of tones. Mine got a Lollar, I never tried the stock pickups on the newer ones though.

4. DirkP

DirkP

Every kind of Fender P with a solid body. I would look for a mexican one from the classic series or a MIJ Fender P used. The JV ones under the Squiere label from 1982-1984 are wonderfull, but - at least in Europe - expensive. I don't believe in the maple vs. RW debatte. Your strings touch nothing but cheap plastic and metal from the tuners down to the bridge. The body mass might make a difference, but that's it. For me the RW vs. Maple debatte is an optic illusion that leads to the conclusion that darker woods sound darker and brighter woods sound brighter.
    Much more important are the strings: higher gauge flatwound strings. Labella even offers a James Jamerson set. And the pickups. These can be changed for not too much cash.
    The rest is in your fingers - and the kind of compressor or preamp you use.
    Dirk

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. garp

garp

What Jeff K said. I had been a Jazz Bass® player for many, many years until I got drafted into a cover band doing lots of Motown stuff, and quickly realized that a Jazz would never cut it. The ‘50s Classic P nailed the tone at an exceptionally affordable price.

7. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

A used MIA Fender is a good option. I like American basses, but the Classic '50s, the Road Worn '50s and Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub or Duck Dunn (Jazz neck) models are great imports, though some may cost as much as a MIA Fender.

8. bachlover

9. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Price- Roadworn
    Better- AVRI '63
    Best- CS Pino

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Contemporary MIM (or any along that line), thick flats, high action, you're off to the races.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

The Gold Standard.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Fender AM Standards have been very nice for about 10-12 years now. You can probably find a nice used one...for substantially less than retail.

13. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I use an early 80's stock G&L SB-1 with the volume rolled back just a little bit.
    That and the B15 is all I need if that is what I am looking for.

14. bachlover

What is a CS Pino? Short for? Tried googling it and got some kind of wine.

15. garp

garp

CS = Fender Custom Shop

16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

17. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

My experience with the standard American line is that I couldn't get a good vintage tone out of it. Don't know if it was the pickup, rods in the neck, or what.

I'd find a roadworn or used 57 or 62 RI if I were you. Maybe the nitro classic 50's..

18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    For me, only an MIA Fender P. You can get plenty of them used for a decent price if you look around. I have seen used ones selling for close to the same price as new MIM.

19. inate_hex

inate_hex

Fender 62 Re-issue

20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

For a 60's "Motown" tone I like broken-in flats and a standard, low mass bridge. I personally prefer higher action as well so I can lay a little more "meat" on the strings. Muting is also something to consider, although there's different ways to approach it.