1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

favorite bass solo?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Tom Lane, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Another thread got me curious about favorite bass solos and I thought this topic must have been covered here before so I searched, went through the first 10 pages of the results but no luck. If I missed it, can someone give me the search terms? or a link to the thread?
    Otherwise, what's your favorite bass solo? Jazz, acoustic bass only, please.

2. tmntfan

tmntfan

Dave Young and Oscar Peterson have a wicked duet on "in a mellow tone".
    the Ron Carter video of "willow weep for me" is great for a solo bass solo...

3. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

I really like Runnin' by Santana. Classic P tone.

4. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

I have two:

Watergate Blues - Percy Heath from "Marchin' On" - the Heath Brothers

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. damonsmith

damonsmith

For Jazz solos: Mingus on "Tensions" on Blues and Roots" and pretty obvious but Wilbur Ware on Softly - it is an iconic solo for a reason.

7. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Ray on Night Train from the Oscar Peterson trio album of the same name. It's a crash course on how to sound like Ray Brown. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a professional bass player quote the lines on this album, I could retire tomorrow.

I know, I know, I know, but also Jaco on Havona. That solo will crush your skull.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

9. Blake Bass

Blake Bass

That's not bass, it is a cello.

10. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

It's called a "baby bass" in the liner notes, but it is a cello tuned like a bass. Percy often used it when he played melodies.

So Watergate Blues is one of my favorite bassist's solos.

11. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

One of many:
    Milt Hinton

12. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Eddie Gomez' solo on "Humpty Dumpty" took me 3 full days to transcribe it...but so worth it....love that solo. Also, LaFaro's solo on Nardis with Bill Evans Trio...
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com

13. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

Blanton on Pitter Panther Patter (I transcribed it and was blown away by what he did) and Mingus on Nostalgia in Times Square.

14. Jly56

Jly56 Supporting Member

How about Chris Squire on the intro to On The Silent Wings of Freedom....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9aHtN4K74

Classic Ric-o-sound... I love my GL J bass, but would give my left nut for a '64 Rickenbacker 4001 model rm1999..... I'm just saying..:eek:

15. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

16. damonsmith

damonsmith

Flea with Lee Konitiz is pretty "rad", too, slapping all the way through "Darn That Dream"...

17. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Dawghaus... Anything by PC but say Sid's ahead on milestones .a close second some blues lines on red in bluesville and also motor city scene.

18. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

People just can't honor a request can they?

There are so many good ones that it's hard to have a favorite, but I'll point to Paul Chambers on Quiet Kenny - Blue Spring Shuffle.

The piano is out of tune, but there's a little figure that Kenny Dorham played, then Tommy Flanegan repeats it in his piano solo, then Chambers built a bass solo around it, then it showed back up as a shout chorus. I like to think that it wasn't planned, but it just shows how well they were listening in the studio that day. If not, they made it sound and feel really organic.

The riff showed up later on another Kenny Dorham album as "Butch's Blues" and was played largely as a solo bass piece by Butch Warren.

19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

My fav will always be the LaFaro solo on Gloria's Step from the VV recordings (the A recording). No particular reason. I just like it.

20. B0_mon

B0_mon

Oscar Pettiford - Caravan - Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington

Pure genius. Has melodic elements without actually duplicating the melody. And has percussive elements without stomping on the drummer. Great interplay with TM.

Doesn't hurt that it's one of my favorite renditions of one of my favorite songs. Been working on my own version, now that I have a DB/EUB. I don't think I'll be attempting to mimic the solo any time soon...

Cheers!

21. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

From the soundtrack of The fabulous Baker boys movie, if you can listen to the track called Shop till you bop. The DB solo in there is short but man it is insane, I think it is Brian Bromberg who is on the bass...