Favorite Bassists' Covers

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by deeptubes, Feb 19, 2013.

1. deeptubes

deeptubes

I've been playing for 26 years. I've decided that I don't want to learn any more of my favorite bassists tunes. I've found that they just come to me really easy. Too easy. I grew up a huge Iron Maiden fan. I can play virtually any Maiden tune blindfolded, literally. Been a Tool fan almost 20 years. Just started learning some of their basslines. Now that I'm figuring them out, I'm finding them to be much more simplistic than I had anticipated. It's rather disappointing. When I learn them, it's stripping them of the mystique I had attached to them. So, I will continue to enjoy my faves. But only with my ears, not with my hands. I want them to remain magical.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Now what are you going to play sir? I'm just the opposite and I know you are a better bassist than I am but for me when I listened to my Beatles the basslines seemed so simple but when you learn the songs the basslines are more complex than you think they are and I found a new love for Paul's bass playing as well as his writing process.
  3. deeptubes

deeptubes

I'm still going to learn others' stuff. I'm just not going to learn the ones by the bassists I hold in ultra high regard. I'm learning stuff and then saying to myself "Really? Is that all there is to it?" instead of "Wow! I just learned __________. It's incredibly anticlimactic. I guess it's making my favorite bassists appear human, to an extent.

Maybe it's a sign that it's time to expand my bass horizons. Hmmmmm....

I've toyed with the idea of doing Flirtin' With Disaster - basslines as well as all guitar fills and solos on bass - in one continuous flow. Haven't gone anywhere with it yet.

As far as skills go, I'm ok. I've got some chops, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. I've got kind of a unique playing style. I fluctuate between straight forward fingerstyle and a classical guitar type fingerstyle - assigning fingers to particular strings - depending upon what fits the song best. Kind of like something between Steve Harris and Lindsey Buckingham without the thumbwork. Could stand to focus on tightening up some slapping. I tend listen to the heavier end of the spectrum, and obviously I play quite a bit of it. But, I really like to write and play some crucial dub and roots basslines.