1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Favorite Gig / Biggest Gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by shadven, Jan 29, 2013.

1. shadven

shadven

When I lived in Boston and NY it was really hard to get high profile gigs, opening for national touring bands, or to even get onto the line-up for festivals. But, then I moved to a smaller market (Tampa) and all that changed. In Tampabay it is so much easier to get the cool gigs. The smaller pond made it happen.:cool:

What were your favorite and/or memorable gigs?

These are some gigs that I will always remember: My band(s) have opened for Cheap Trick (3x), Leon Russell (2x), Dickie Betts, The Fixx (2x), Artimus Pyle Band (2x), Robin Trower, Dick Dale (2x), Little Feat, The Gin Blossoms, and a few more artists on their way up, or their way down. But the gig in front of the most people was opening for Avril Lavigne:confused:

But, my all time favorite gig was playing the entire Beatles album Abbey Road in front of a sold-out crowd (about 500). We were hired by a radio station for the 40th anniversary of Abbey Road . That night I felt like we were channeling the Beatles. People were crying and just wanted to touch us:)... I felt a spiritual connection the Beatles that felt so real and connected.

The album gigs are some of my favorites. My band has also did: The White Album, All Things Must Pass (all 3 LPs), Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.:hyper:

I have no rituals other inspecting my gear and doing some warm-up exercises to loosen my hands and warm-up the neck before final tuning.

2. smogg

smogg

I'm right up the road from you shadven. My personal favorite gigs to play each year (in order)
    1: Cotee River BikeFest
    2: Chasco
    3: Night at the Tropics

All three events provide big crowds, decent pay, and lots of fun.

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Too funny - the band I played in back in the early 90's opened up for Robin Trower here in Omaha. That was pretty much my one time opening for a national act though.

Got a new band now - hopefully good things to come:D

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

No big gigs under my belt that I can remember, I have played before some large crowds( Milwaukee's infamous SummerFest, largest music fest in the world) but that does mean it was a memorable or happening experience.

My band plays (every 3 months or so) a local club, thats packed with blues/rock lovers and local heavy hitting veterans that show up and the sound in the place is awesome. That place is at the top of my favorites.

Blue

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zachoff

zachoff

Best show I've ever played was Love Thy Chopper... Played w/ a bunch of local stoner/doom bands and it was awesome. Not a whole lot of people there... Probably 200 or so, but the ones that were there dug it and got rowdy. The biker crowd tends to do that sometimes.

7. jaywa

jaywa

Honestly... the opening gigs I've played have pretty much all been downers.

To me doing street dances and private parties as the only act of the night is a LOT more fun (and financially rewarding) than dealing with all the logistical BS to play a 30-minute opening spot for little or no pay.

8. Sahe_Bassist

Sahe_Bassist

hey from another tampa resident!

favorite gig thus far was called "nude-a-palooza", an outdoor breast cancer benfit that my tribute band headlined at a nudist resort. (the nudist resort thing isnt why it was the most fun)

there were so many people! several thousand i think they said! all singing along to the songs and dancing. just having a blast.

for lack of a better way to put it, i felt like a rockstar that night.

9. Kryptos

Kryptos

Favourite would be playing noon time at the Blue Ridge Music Center. Nice 30 minute drive down on the parkway, revolving cast of players, get to play multiple instruments, home by 2pm.

Biggest:
    Kennedy Center
    Carnegie Hall
    Bonnaroo
    Smithsonian Folklife Festival
    Telluride Festival
    SXSW

10. zachoff

zachoff

Biggest was actually a frat party in college. Probably 500 people there to listen to some crappy ska-punk. Unbelievable.

11. Jeb

Jeb

I once played with a band that almost opened for Molly Hatchett. But then we would have had a week off and the BL opted for a HS prom instead to keep the logistics in order. It was a full time deal back then. Honestly I like playing the little club down the street and getting home at a decent hour. Weddings and such are OK but not as much fun as whatever that little club is down the street. Everybody dances and once in awhile you can really get into that groove that we all seek. I like that. And going home at the end of the night.

12. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Similar story...........

Moved from New York a couple of years ago. No "big" shows in NY, nor even any opening spots with national acts.

I'm just north of Daytona, and play bike events, festivals, etc.

In the past couple of years, I have opened for:

Rick Derringer, Cosmo (Fran Cosmo singing Boston), Gregg Allman, Dierks Bently, Bo Bice, Foghat, Eddie Money, Exile, The Fixx, Starship, Slaughter, Skid Row, Lita Ford, and Lynch Mob.

Favorite places would have to be: Athens Theater (Deland), Peabody Auditorium (Daytona), Coca Cola Pavilion @ Destination Daytona, Daytona Beach Bandshell, and of course bike events @ Boothill Saloon.

13. corinpills

corinpills

I've opened up for tons of people that I admire, but it is to my everlasting regret that my old and never managed to play with Cheap Trick. We almost got the opening slot when they were in Boston once, but we were playing in Illinois playing for about 9 people at the time! Isn't that just perfect?

Best gig we ever did was opening for Supergrass at a sold out Axis club in Boaton. I have payed bigger shows since, but men where the audience was so on our side. Also, I will always treasure a marathon drunken gig we played in Yecla, Spain on a tour we did there. It was a very special night with a packed house, lots of alcohol passed to the stage, drugs and extremely cute female bartenders who found American accents exotic.

14. shadven

shadven

Great stories! Keep them coming. Sex and debauchery always add some spice to the story! I've played incredible bikers bars and lowlife joints with outrageous fights.

I remember a place in Salisbury, MA where there was a fight on the dance floor between about 10 people... the rent-a-cop was in the middle of it (on the floor shirt ripped open). No one arrested or thrown out, a little blood, but all back to normal a few minutes later.