Favorite Indian food

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 6, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I love spicy food. Lately I have been getting Gobi Aloo from a local food truck called Kasa. It is curried cauliflower and potatoes. Just writing about is is making me hungry. You can get it on a roll or as a plate with rice and nan. It may not even be authentic Indian food but I sure like it.

Roll:
    [​IMG]

Plate:
    [​IMG]

2. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    I'm married to a lovely Indian lady and have the pleasure of cooking many wonderful dishes with (and mostly for) her.

Everyone should learn how to pop mustard seeds in some oil, add your vegetable of choice, and blend of spices to make a yummy masala. It's easy!!!

(wife doesn't cook a lot but we sure have some great sourcing where spice blends are concerned)

Having said all that- ya'll need to try:

A. Curried Goat
    B. Dosa and Sambar (from southern India- like a rice crepe and spicy soup)
    C. Mama/Auntie's Biryani
    D. Peppered beef (a famous dish from Kerala)

Northern Indian/Pakistani dishes tend to be rich/oily and have incredible spice and flavor.

Most Indian restaurants are Punjabi/Gujarati or northern Indian- if you get a chance to try Tamil/Kerala food GET AFTER IT!!!

3. slobake

I VOLUNTEER FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT. :hyper:

thanks Brother Goose

4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I'm half indian but, sadly, my stomach does not like indian food, although my taste buds love it. Aloo Gobi was actually one of my favs back when I was willing to suffer. This is a typical indian dish as a plate with rice and naan as you say, but I think the "wrap" idea is a western convention, but it is a really good way to go.

Aloo Gobi is north indian style, but, if you can find a south indian restaurant, you MUST try a dosa (if you haven't already). It's a gigantic flat bread usually made from lentil flour and most commonly served with a load of masala potatoes (curried potatoes, but usually with less oil than in north indian curries) inside and a few different kinds of chutney.

Another of my old favs is supposedly a typical north indian snack (I've only been there once for a couple weeks, so I'm no expert, but my dad said it was pretty common when he lived there), which consists of a heap of channa (curried chick peas) with samosas buried in em, and covered in yoghurt.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Growing up, one of my best friends was Indian. His mom used to make KILLER samosas. I've never had Chicken Tandori (Indian Food 101) but I've meaning to try it.

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

I go hot every time. Vindaloo, Jalfrezi, Madras...whatever. Accompaniments must include an onion bhaji, pilau rice, a garlic and coriander naan, raitha and lime chutney.

Hottest curry I ever ate was in a restaurant on 'Curry Mile', a famous street in Rusholme, Manchester, renowned for its proliferation of curry houses.

I think the dish was called 'Ceylon Thunder', and it was several weeks before I could walk upright.

9. slobake

This thread is making me drool. ;)

10. StevieMac

StevieMac

Lamb or goat vindaloo. YUM!

11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Mmmm. Indian food. I guess I know what I'm getting for lunch tomorrow...

13. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

I love tikka masala with any meat. Also dry curries like Lamb Bhuna are so tasty...add some basmati and naan and wash it down with a mango lassi. I'm officially drooling :hyper:

I recently tried appetizers, lamb samosas and lasuni gobi, and they were also amazingly delicious.

14. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    This dude is of Tamil descent- but he lives in Canada and is completely spoofing. You may need some context for some of his humor but most of it is pretty accessible.

He also pays drums in some of his videos- I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

This is a tribute to an amazing roadside treat so named for it's "secret blend of 65 spices"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR0Tapw-mdc

15. Mysterion

Mysterion Supporting Member

I'm partial to South Indian cuisine...
    ...and I love dosas! My preferred local place closed recently--they had an entire page of different dosai, variously made from rice and/or lentil flour, with different fillings. They folded the pancake into a different shape for each filling; I favored the Special Rava Dosa, with chiles.

Indian appetizers...I love medu vada, which are like savory donettes, eaten with sambar (a sort of spicy soup/sauce) and a coconut/cashew chutney. Pani puri, also called golgapas, are not to be missed--Tiny, airy, crunchy bread-things, with a delicious, complex cool broth. If my stomach is up to it, I'll go for pakoras (fritters) made with whole chiles.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

We have a dosa joint near us that isn't bad, and make a brutal chile pakora...that amounts to a plate of jalapenos that have been cut in half and battered/fried very quickly, so they're nearly unheated in the middle... I fear that many Indian places are sort of like Chinese places and not necessarily very authentic. I worked with a woman who would bring me in food from home and it was nothing like what you find in a restaurant...I also attended a Hindu potluck with her at her temple that was pretty fun.

17. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I absolutely love Indian food and I've been eating it for other about thirty years. I've had Indian food in many different states and three different countries and I have never seen any beef dishes on a menu. That's very interesting.

I have tried practically everything I've seen mentioned so far and I like it all. Another one I really like is Chick Makhani, AKA Butter Chicken, particularly when it is a bit spicy. I really like going to Indian places in the Bay Area because there are usually lots of Indian people there and they make the food spicy. So far I have been to only one Indian place that I didn't like very much and, not surprisingly, it didn't last very long and is now closed.

Two of my favorites are Tandoori Lamb and Lulu. I have also made them at home and had good results.

18. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Rogan Josh for me!!

19. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I talked with an Indian co-worker about this once and he said most of what restaurants serve is considered banquet food to them and it's not what they eat at home every day. It's also usually toned way down for non-Indians.

20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Chicken Tikka Massala. I'm off dairy mostly but if you put a plate of that in front of me it would dissappear in a second.

21. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Love me some chicken Korma, absolute pap when it comes to spicy!

Though on saying that, I have had this:

It was a friend's stag and *expletives deleted* . . . I was ruined (heck, most of us were, though I accept it probably isn't the hottest in the world :p ). The restaurant has newspaper clippings in the window from occasions where that curry has put people in hospital :meh: