Favorite Jazz Bass Bridge Pickup... With One Catch...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barebones, Dec 28, 2013.

1. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

You may only use zee bridge pickup! No other pickup of any kind blended in!

Which would you choose and why?
  2. barebones

I know there are some bridge-pup-soloed aficionados out there! Even saw some custom basses with just the one pickup installed at the bridge, no neck pickup whatsoever. What's the ideal pickup in that situation? Do you prefer something with more or less highs/lows? Single coil or hum canceling? Passive or active? Particular approaches to volume and tone controls?
  3. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    My favorite type of pickup is a split-coil humbucking J. I have a low tolerance for noise. I also recently purchased a set of Joe Barden parallel-coil humbucking J pickups, but I haven't yet heard them, though I fully expect they will sound good.

If I was limited to one pickup on a bass, there's no way I'd have a single coil there. I know others swear by single-coils, but that's my opinion. In your scenario, I'd probably put a deep voiced Bart in there. A bridge J isn't very bassy by nature of its position, and so I'd want to give it all the help I could with the pickup wiring.
  4. PetersReviews

PetersReviews

Bartolini Jazz. No noise and very articulate sound. I love it!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Something that's fully hum-cancelling, and that's wired into a preamp with active Bass and Treble shelving controls.

Never liked the sound of a passive, solo'd Jazz bridge pu without some additional tone sculpting...but I can get a lot of mileage out of that one pu if I've got some nice EQ downstream. Doesn't matter which pu then.
  7. barebones

Cool. I experimented with this type of configuration years ago, but I forget what I liked and disliked about certain pickups. I know I favor hum canceling pickups, though, as others have mentioned. Can't have that single coil noise with a one-pickup setup.

What kind of onboard pres do you guys like in this situation? I usually just wire straight to the jack and use the pre on my amp, but onboard can certainly be convenient.
  8. line6man

line6man

I've had two Jazz basses with only bridge pickups. One of which now has a neck pickup, but I don't use it too often.

My current favorite pickup is the Carvin H50A. I've tried a lot of pickups, and that one just sounds great to me.
  9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

Although I prefer P basses I'm loving the PJ I got a while ago. I quite lie, the tone of the bridge pup solo'ed, although it's not so unhinged I use a lot.
    Thing is I don't like buzz/hum/noise so I replaced mine with a Fender super 55. This is split coil (side by side, not stacked) and it's really usable on its own. I guess it's not quite a traditional sound like a single coil but in the mix it does the job, and no nasty buzzing.
  10. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    I just put a pair of Fender super 55 on my main giggin' bass (an old MIM J) and I'm very very happy (I'll post a review asap); on my Squier CV I have DiMarzio Model J: very happy too, but they are a bit different, more classic (even if not strictly vintage) the Fender, more aggressive and punchy the DiMarzio. Both hum-cancelling split coil, btw.
  11. Crabby

Crabby

I had a set of Dimarzio Model J pickups in my MIM fretless jazz and I only ever used the bridge pickup. It sounded so sweet. I would buy those pickups again in a heartbeat. They are so inexpensive and sound great
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd use whatever came in the bass from the factory. Never had a problem with any of them.
  13. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I'd go Dimarzio any day of the week.

The Area J for more round, vintage, even tone...
    The Model J for the modern, hifi...
    Or the Ultra J for a high output version of the Model J.

And I'd whichever one to a push/pull switch for selecting between series/parallel for tonal options.
  14. barebones

Yeah, I keep coming back to those and the Barts. I've used Model Js and liked them. Haven't tried Dimarzio's other two options. Curious about those for sure.
  15. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I have Super 55's in the bass in my avatar, and I love them! They are what got me hooked on split-coil humbucking J's. Crystal clear sound and no noise.
  16. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

17. maturanesa

maturanesa

Di Marzio Model J. Its hum-cancelling and the tone is boomier than a normal single coil so its more usefull soloed
  18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

I much prefer my 55 over the Nordstrand split coil I had in my old Lakland DJ5. To my ears that pup sounded very clinical.

Im surprised there isn't more talk of the 55, it seems not a lot of people know about them. What I have read has all been positive though.
  19. barebones

Just picked up a used H50A in the classifieds. Been meaning to try this one!
  20. Lownote38

Lownote38

Seymour Duncan Antiquity II.
  21. line6man

line6man

My only complaint is that it's a sensitive pickup. You'll hear finger noises if you touch it while playing. But that just takes a bit of getting used to.