1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Favorite Jazz bass knock off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, Jan 11, 2014.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor

The Fender Jazz bass seems to be one of the most copied (or maybe I should say "inspired"? :rolleyes: ) basses ever. Those of you who have played some of these and liked them, which is your favorite?

Squier doesn't count.

I haven't actually found a lot of these in stores so my favorite I guess would be the Marco 5-string active Jazz I played at my local shop.

I'd have made a poll but there's a lot of brands out there and I don't even know half of them.

Also, I'm thinking let's not include Jazz basses that don't actually have the Fender Jazz-shaped body. So no F Bass or Brubaker Brutes.
  2. zortation

zortation Distant relative of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson Supporting Member

For me, if we're talking vintage slab body designs, the Suhr Classic J is the best playing and sounding knockoff I have come across.
  3. KingRazor

KingRazor

Brands I know of off the top of my head that would qualify:

Alleva Coppolo (multiple models)
    Essex :D
    Ibanez (lawsuit)
    Lakland 44/60
    Mike Lull M4V
    Nordy vJ4
    Suhr Classic J
    Sandberg California TT
    Sadowsky Vintage 4-string
    Valenti VMJ4

Haven't played any of the above though
  4. dabbler

dabbler

For me it's SX,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they let me do what I want to do (but I'm no pro) so why pay more?
  5. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I dig my Gamma

Attached Files:

6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Lakland, absolutely Lakland.
  7. tony89merc

tony89merc

I'm with Dabbler..... I've played a few of my buddy's SX basses over the last year or so... Walked in to his den one day where all his gear is... and notice he had 3 bass guitar's They all looked like Fender's to me... first thing out of my mouth was "Where did you get the coin to buy 3 Fender's!!" As i got closer i realized they were not fender's but SX's !! Never heard of them... he said pick-um up and plug them in.... Wow!! they played and sounded awesome!! He said he picked all 3 up at a yard sale... the guy want $75 each .. he gave him $150 for all 3.. They have the old head stock... so from a distance.... they look like a Fender...
  8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I played a schecter diamond j once, and it was pretty good, definitely a step up from mim standards.

Also, depending on how much liberty we are taking, my peavey foundation (2 sc pups, vvt setup, 1.5" width neck, 34" scale, very jazz-esque) does a hell of a job at being a jazz, with just a little more bite. So good a job, idk if I really need a true jazz.
  9. Ken J

Ken J Coginchaug New Horizons Band/Skinning Cats Gold Supporting Member

+1
  10. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I think it is funny that the OP put a smiley face after he listed SX, but SX has been getting the most love thus far! I'm sure if I wanted to spend a couple grand I could find a Sadowsky or Lakland that would be far superior to my SX Jazz. But for the $250 or so I have in it with mods IMO it's a fantastic deal and my favorite of the many Jazz basses I have owned.

[​IMG]
  11. KingRazor

KingRazor

I play and love an SX actually. And I would love to try an SX Andromeda.

The smiley is because of how many people on these boards think SX basses are crap.

My bass doesn't have the best fret work or the best neck pocket (though it is tight), I've still put in less money than I would into a new MIM Fender, and it's got great features now that I've upgraded it a bit.
  12. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

G&L. That's what happens when Leo gets one more kick at the can.
  13. Bogster

Bogster Supporting Member

I can't say enough good about mine. REALLY enjoying it and I've used it at the last couple of gigs we've had. I may even take it into the studio later this year for our next cd. Hands down my vote for non-Fender, bang-for-your-buck jazz for less than 2 bills shipped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

Are we on the same TB? SXs get praised constantly around here.
  15. KingRazor

KingRazor

I see it get both praised and slammed plenty, though I definitely see more praise than bashing.
  16. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
  17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Carvin SB series or B series if you don't disqualify them for body shape. Lakland, Mike Lull, and Pat Wilkins are all great. I've owned an SX Jazz, and it was very good for the money. I'd rather spend a little more and get something that's just right out of the box, but I'm no gear snob. I've gigged SX and Squier basses and been happy as a clam. :)
  18. penguineman

penguineman

I'd have to say SX would be my Favorite knock off thats shaped like a Fender or Squier now if you went to P Bass's then thats a different story. although I do wish I had my SX back.
  19. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

yeah for P bass... I had an old Peavey which other than the headstock was a really close clone. It actually sounded and played better than my old mim p. The neck was closer to a jazz neck.

as far as Jazz basses, Ive heard some really nice sounding warmoths but I've yet to actually play one myself. KSD makes em pretty nice for the price. ESP has also has had some nice ones but I think there new ones have different horns to not look so close to fender.
  20. Toptube

Toptube

I think they are crap because they sent me "crap", twice. One had chunks missing from the edges of the fretboard, a trussrod that was crooked in the neck. the other very visible fretboard rash in several spots and some of the worst fretwork I have encountered. My most expensive basses cost under $1,000 in street prices, and I'm not super picky, so my fretwork standards aren't sky high.

*I've seen pictures on here of what look to be decent examples of a bass, with SX on the headstock. But to me, they are a gamble not worth the time and cost to ship it back.