1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Favorite Rounds on Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    Title says it all. I recently acquired a 5 string Squier VM Jazz and was wondering what you guys prefer to string up with. Especially you 5 stringers. Thanks!

2. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Man, been through them all. But I do see you specify 5. My experience is 4 on the bass.

And I love D'addario everything on it! Last several months, been lights. The .35 through .95 set. Again, for 4... I'd imagine the B would be .115.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. I've had good luck with Dean Markeley Blue Steels and DR Fat Beams and High Beams. I am looking for a bright tone however.

5. Those are all good. I've got a set of nickel plated DR Lo-Riders on my Yamaha 5-string and they are the best sounding stringset yet. The hex core has more mass and is stiffer than a round core. That keeps the B from being floppy. The Lo-Riders also exhibit great growl in the low midrange.

6. GHS bass boomers Med/hvy is what I use on my VM 5 string. I love the tone. You need a prety heavy B string to get enough tension.

7. +1

8. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I like steel string or flats on it, nickles rounds don't do it for me on that bass

9. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2013
    In transit (again)
    + Another on DR Highbeams. Ultimately the d'addario tapewound (ETB-92) won for me. I use rounds on everything, but my Squier sounded best with tapewounds. Deep and punchy tho.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I like Dr neons on my 4 string VM j bass

11. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    My friend has that bass. I like when he uses d addario Steels on it. It played very nice.

12. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for the responses! I'm currently running 125-45 DR Fatbeams on mine and was curious what you guys were using.