Favorite Rounds on Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Title says it all. I recently acquired a 5 string Squier VM Jazz and was wondering what you guys prefer to string up with. Especially you 5 stringers. Thanks!
  2. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Man, been through them all. But I do see you specify 5. My experience is 4 on the bass.

And I love D'addario everything on it! Last several months, been lights. The .35 through .95 set. Again, for 4... I'd imagine the B would be .115.
  3. eriky4003

eriky4003

I've had good luck with Dean Markeley Blue Steels and DR Fat Beams and High Beams. I am looking for a bright tone however.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Those are all good. I've got a set of nickel plated DR Lo-Riders on my Yamaha 5-string and they are the best sounding stringset yet. The hex core has more mass and is stiffer than a round core. That keeps the B from being floppy. The Lo-Riders also exhibit great growl in the low midrange.
  5. jay schrader

jay schrader

GHS bass boomers Med/hvy is what I use on my VM 5 string. I love the tone. You need a prety heavy B string to get enough tension.
  6. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

+1
  7. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I like steel string or flats on it, nickles rounds don't do it for me on that bass
  8. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

+ Another on DR Highbeams. Ultimately the d'addario tapewound (ETB-92) won for me. I use rounds on everything, but my Squier sounded best with tapewounds. Deep and punchy tho.
  9. spaz21387

spaz21387

I like Dr neons on my 4 string VM j bass
  10. Precision101

Precision101

My friend has that bass. I like when he uses d addario Steels on it. It played very nice.
  11. GK Growl

GK Growl

Thanks for the responses! I'm currently running 125-45 DR Fatbeams on mine and was curious what you guys were using.