1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Favorite Rounds on Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Basses?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl

Title says it all. I recently acquired a 5 string Squier VM Jazz and was wondering what you guys prefer to string up with. Especially you 5 stringers. Thanks!
  2. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Man, been through them all. But I do see you specify 5. My experience is 4 on the bass.

And I love D'addario everything on it! Last several months, been lights. The .35 through .95 set. Again, for 4... I'd imagine the B would be .115.
  3. eriky4003

eriky4003

I've had good luck with Dean Markeley Blue Steels and DR Fat Beams and High Beams. I am looking for a bright tone however.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Those are all good. I've got a set of nickel plated DR Lo-Riders on my Yamaha 5-string and they are the best sounding stringset yet. The hex core has more mass and is stiffer than a round core. That keeps the B from being floppy. The Lo-Riders also exhibit great growl in the low midrange.
  5. jay schrader

jay schrader

GHS bass boomers Med/hvy is what I use on my VM 5 string. I love the tone. You need a prety heavy B string to get enough tension.
  6. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

+1
  7. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I like steel string or flats on it, nickles rounds don't do it for me on that bass
  8. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

+ Another on DR Highbeams. Ultimately the d'addario tapewound (ETB-92) won for me. I use rounds on everything, but my Squier sounded best with tapewounds. Deep and punchy tho.
  9. spaz21387

spaz21387

I like Dr neons on my 4 string VM j bass
  10. Precision101

Precision101

My friend has that bass. I like when he uses d addario Steels on it. It played very nice.
  11. GK Growl

GK Growl

Thanks for the responses! I'm currently running 125-45 DR Fatbeams on mine and was curious what you guys were using.