Favorite sports talk radio show

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

I work on the lower level of the building were I have no cell reception and not very good radio. Before I moved to my current location on the same level the only station I got was 100.3 The Fan. I would listen to JT the Brick and Thom Looney which was ok at first but started getting sick of him slamming callers with this better than you attitude and got sick of him pushing his book. I cant get that station anymore so surfing the dial I came across 105.7 The Ticket and now listen to Damon Amendolara of The D.A. show with this The Mothership has connected, callers asking for permission to board, puffiness with sodium, you better bring your raincoat and alot of other drops that make my third shift go by with a smile on my face. Main thing for me is how cool he is with his callers and he gets alot of compliments from first time callers. Dont get me wrong he gets some goofy callers which he even does the epic fail call bit making fun of a stupid call. I guess I could have just asked if you listen to sports talk radio what show do you like?
  2. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Most of the national ones I can receive I'm not wild about. But I'd rather listen to feedback and static than have Jim Rome on.
  3. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

As far as national shows, I like Colin Cowherd for the most part.
    We have three sports-talk stations in Atlanta, which is probably two too many. Most of the local guys are lame. There's a guy on 790 AM here named Mike Bell who's funny as hell. He should have a national show.
  4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

I don't really listen to much sports radio anymore, other than Sirius FC. Charlie Stillitano & Ray Hudson are definitely my favorite team on there.

On regular radio, I always HATED JT the Brick. What a big mouth bloated ego. I confess I was usually pretty entertained by Scott Ferrell.
  5. marko138

marko138

I like Rome but he's not on satellite so I don't hear him anymore. When Stern is on vacation I'll listen to Evan and Phillips on the way to work and Mad Dog on the way home. Pretty much whatever is on Mad Dog Radio I'll listen to.
  6. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

For a long time, it was Petros Papadakis and Matt "Money" Smith. Now I've grown weary of them. I like Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley

Jay Mohr replaced Jim Rome on the radio. Jay Mohr is hilarious
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

The longtime morning guy in Seattle on KJR AM950 is my favorite, Mitch Levy. He's on iHeartRadio from 6:00AM until 10:00AM PST.

The national guys are too over the top for me although some of the guys who have been on Fox Sports Radio have been entertaining. Petros was the name of one guy I remember.

-Mike
  8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I can't handle sports talk radio for the most part. The hosts are usually too blustery (especially Rome--can't stand his style) and the callers get way too emotional about little things. LeBatard's about the only one I like (being a South Florida native myself), and then only in limited doses.

My dad used to have it on in his car when I visited him in Denver, and I'd roll my eyes more than I would laugh. He recently stopped driving, but I bet he'll ask for one of the stations to be put on next time I'm out there. Oh well, I'll live.
  9. electracoyote

electracoyote

Denver

104.3 FM, The Fan

KOA 850 AM, (evening rush-hour, player/coach Dave Logan and sports writer Dave Krieger)

I enjoy both of these.
  10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Mike & Mike
    Sadano & Stink
  11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

In the UK, I have BBC Radio Five on pretty much all the time.

I've tried Talk Sport, but simply cannot abide continual, relentless ad breaks.

I know nothing about American radio - is it all commercial? Are you guys simply just used to as breaks?
  12. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yep. Rampant, sinful capitalism at its worst.

I have XM radio, $10/month, most stations are commercial-free.

Otherwise, we were socialized to accept commercial breaks over here.
  13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

What electra said. Back when Howard Stern was on commercial radio, even during the period when I did enjoy some of his content, I didn't listen much because the ad breaks were unbelievably long--they must have been close to 15 minutes in duration.
  14. marko138

marko138

Stern's show is great now, break wise. He'll go an hour, sometimes an hour and a half then break for 2 mins and come back.

Now, the show content, that's another story.
  15. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Thanks for those replies fellas.

So...do you get completely uninterrupted live sports coverage, or is that also broken up into segments to accommodate ads?
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Sports on the radio and TV have ads. They even have "TV timeouts" where the game on TV is stopped explicitly for the purpose of showing TV commercials.

-Mike
  17. pica

pica

97.1 The Ticket - Detroit
  18. stratovani

stratovani

98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston is pretty good. I like Felger and Mazz in the afternoons.
  19. 78bass

78bass

Villeni and Foster.
    Detroit. 97.1
    Quality stuff.
  20. T-birdfan

T-birdfan Supporting Member

The Davey Mac Sports Program podcast on Ritocast.com, the best handsdown.