Favorite Strings with Chi-Sonic Pickups?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by e-flat, Mar 6, 2014.

1. e-flat

e-flat

I posted this in the "PICKUPS" section, but didn't get any input so I'll give it a shot over here! :p

I've always played P Basses and Jazz Basses, but recently switched things up and am playing a parts bass (P body, Jazz neck) set up with a Chi-Sonic single coil in the traditional P Bass pickup location. I love the sound of this pickup, and am certainly satisfied with the tone & feel of the bass itself.

I have been using DR Sunbeams (45-105) for a long time, and have always run roundwound Nickels of some kind on my basses in the past. Ages ago I tried a set of La Bella flatwounds on a fretless P bass and dug them, but stayed with roundwounds on other basses as I was mostly playing rock, often at obscene volumes, sometimes with a pick and an overdriving Ampeg.

I rarely play rock currently, though, and am wondering if any of you Chi Fans have a particular type / brand / gauge of string that you find compliments the forward midrange voicing of the Chi-Sonics?

I dig on most styles of music, but I'd say my own style covers old Rhythm & Blues, some Dub tones, and delves into Roots rock & spacier / fuzzier alternative stuff as well.

I've been impressed by many recordings I've heard of Tape Wounds, and even pulled the trigger on some La Bella White Nylons (Light Gauge) which should be here in a few days.

Thanks for any and all input!