Favorite TB Generosity Threads (Feel-Good Time)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GregC, Dec 23, 2012.

1. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I've been on TB about six years, and over that time I've been reminded, again and again, how many generous, stellar individuals post here. So in the spirit of the holidays, I'm posting a few of my favorites here--please feel free to add your own. These threads may be old hat to TB veterans, but it was cool to look through them again, and perhaps newer members will enjoy them. Maybe some will be inspired by their examples as well.:)

embellisher and Bassic83 help Grace:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/meet-grace-her-bass-427104/

GeneralElectric starts a thread to help a homeless bass player and amazing things happen. Long, but very much worth the read:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/found-cool-old-bassist-need-some-help-611919/

varunkapahi gets mugged and his bass, tuner and pedal are stolen. The TB machine gets rolling. Pacman rules:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/i-got-mugged-beaten-up-lost-my-bass-too-621803/

This one's from just last week. madbassplaya gives away a bass, DaveAceofBass directs it to a needy student of his and others help with more gear and their expertise:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/warm-fuzzy-inside-tb-great-place-940563/

I'm heading out tomorrow with my fiancee to spend Christmas with my family. Happy holidays, all!
  2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Way to keep me up til 5 in the morning reading! Those are some truly great stories, and my fellow TB'ers are some of the finest people on the face of the planet. I'm really looking forward to the day when I'll get a chance to give back to someone.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You can't beat GEneralElectric's story.
  4. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

What about the League of Extraordinary Luthiers? That one's kinda feel-good as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. champbassist

champbassist

Apart from the ones in the OP, the 'Huge Trade Gone Bad' thread from earlier this year involving dharmashawn and a couple of other TBers wasn't a pretty sight, but it ultimately felt really good to see justice being served, with some help from TB :)
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The fella who lost his GK amp to the New York hurricane and GK gave him a new upgrade for a nominal fee.
  8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

A TB member by the name of Chris Loe is fighting leukemia, so to help him feel better & show him that we support him, a bunch of TB Spector Club members (along with Stuart Spector & a host of Spector Artists) got together and purchased a white Spector Euro for him.
    The bass was delivered to him a few months ago as a suprise, and there were a bunch of extra goodies donated by Spector (and others) that Chris also recieved.
    A search of the Spector Club thread will give details, and here is a link to a special Spector Fan Page that is dedicated to Chris, along with pics of most of the TB members & Spector Artists who pulled together to show Chris & his family that we support them.
    :bassist:

http://www.spectorcentral.com/chrisloe.html
  9. nutso42

nutso42

Small pie compared to the others, but exactly three years ago I had a friend's Kramer headless bass from the 80's that was missing a very small but important piece. I turned to TB to try to get it fixed for them, and pastvertical was willing to send me the exact part, free of charge.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/need-screw-bridge-kramer-bass-610515/

While I could've just gotten a similar screw from a hardware store, I really wanted to get the exactly right piece. And he passed it on for me.

*warm and fuzzy feeling*
  10. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

This is why I love TB!!
  11. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Years ago our very own j-raj had a Benavente stolen. A bunch of us pitched in to help him get a replacement. There are some damn good cats here at TB.
  12. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Maki's fundraising for Japan was also pretty cool.
  13. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I don't remember who it was, but there was someone here who sent a bass to a kid who broke his after his parents got divorced...I think it was an Epi bass but not sure.
  14. Drop-D

Drop-D Supporting Member

Forgive me, I don't remember all the names and circumstances. But, some time ago the bass player for the band Staind gave a bass to someone who, if I remember correctly, lost theirs in the hurricane.

It has stuck with me since it happened. A lot of amazing people are on this forum.
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    There were a couple other threads as well where Johnny D's generosity was notable.
  16. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

You mean Johnny April??
  17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    LOL of course! My brain is turning to mush.
  18. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Yeah, that was/is quite something!
  19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The ongoing generosity of Arthritic Tom, retired bassist and music journo, in sharing all his stories.
  20. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Mine has been mush for several years already! ;)

Merry Christmas!
  21. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Just coming back from vacation now to read the responses. Thanks, all! There are some very cool stories I'd forgotten about and others I wasn't aware of.:)