1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Favourite jazz standards to jam to?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Frohman, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Frohman

Frohman

I need to update my jazz standard repertoire.

Here are some songs that I've played until I'm sore, so stay clear of these:

Summertime
    All the things you are
    Autumn Leaves
    Waltz for Debby
    The Drycleaner from Des Moines
    I Fall in Love too Easily
    Wild is the Wind
    It Could Happen to You
    The Chicken
    Spain
    So What
    Mr. PC
    Blue Monk

Give me your favourite standards! Great melodies and progressions are a must, of course.
  2. le ste

le ste

footprints
    stolen moments
    all blues
    nica's dream
    blue bossa
  3. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Georgia, How High The Moon, Get Happy, Baubles, Bangles, Beads, How Deep The Ocean, as well as the others previously mentioned.
  4. B0_mon

B0_mon

Without a doubt: "All Blues" Miles D./Kind of Blue

A bit tricky with 6/8 time, but I came up with a walk that works pretty well.

On stage, The Allman Bros. often work this into their song: "Dreams". Derek T. really nails it.

Check it out!
  5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

6. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

For coming up with and learning tunes, we've found the irealb app to be outstanding. It doesn't work with windows. Our guitarist uses his iphone, I bought a tablet and downloaded it there. $10 for the app!!! It has hundreds of standards to choose from, you select the tempo and the instruments you want on the backing track. Only downside is, that because of copy write infringement laws, they can't include the melody lines, but for us denizens of the deep........np!
  7. B0_mon

B0_mon

Saw Robben Ford last night at Yoshi's Oakland (great show). I remembered this thread and one of his songs that my group really likes to jam to: "On That Morning", (_Bring It Back Home_ album).

While it's not a "Standard", it's a really nice jazz progression with a great bass solo that can be heavily improvised upon. Maybe a future classic...
  8. B0_mon

B0_mon

I thought of a few more:

> Work Song (Robben Ford worked this into one of his songs the other night)

> Mercy, Mercy, Mercy

> My Favorite Things
    (Coltrane's is cool, but check out this version from Ronny Jordan )

> Somewhere Over The Rainbow
    (Uke player Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version is classic; also heard it worked into "Django's Tiger" by the Robin Nolan Trio)

Check out some of the New Orleans-style brass bands (Rebirth, Dirty Dozen, Youngblood, Soul Rebels, etc.). They are always tweaking pasty old jazz tunes into really funky, cool numbers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
  9. Frohman

Frohman

I use the iRealb app for android, and it's great. But finding songs that I enjoy can sometimes be challenging. When it comes to learning standards, it's always a good idea to learn the standards people know and love to play, that's why I ask. The whole tradjazz game is quite new for me, only been at it for 6 months. :)
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Cantaloupe Island
    St. Thomas
    Watermelon Man
    I've Got Rhythm
  11. azureblue

azureblue

Joy Spring
    Daahoud
    Stardust
    Round Midnight
    Moment's Notice
    Midnight Sun
    Just One of Those Things
  12. B0_mon

B0_mon

Last night my jam buddies and I started working on "Caravan", T. Monk's rendition (see the Colorado Book, pg. 48). Great song, with room for the bass on melody. Warning: This one is a real 'ear worm'!

Not so much for bass, but still of note is the rendition Johnny Deppp gives in the "Chocolat" soundtrack. He plays "Minor Swing" on that as well. The dude has serious chops.

Cheers!
  13. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Haitian Fight Song
  14. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Sister Cheryl
  15. Jaco D

Jaco D

There's a lot. We've been jamming to a groove based on Dave Brubeck's Take 5 and wandered in and out of a host of different songs using the same groove before calling it quits due to fatigue.

Check out Derek Truck's version of "My Favorite Things" (I think it's on his EP). Wes Montgomery would be proud.
  16. JimK

JimK

Have you been reading the "Do You Own Kind Of Blue" thread?
    "All Blues" is takin' a beating in there.
    So, I ask...do you or do you not go up to the IV (C7) chord?
    (We did not; we played Gmin instead...more of a Modal vibe, IMO).

I recall reading when Oteil Burbridge joined the ABB...his approach for "Dreams" was outta "All Blues".
    I am currently reading One Way Out: The Inside History Of The Allman Brothers Band...Betts & Jaimoe mention "Dreams" as their version of "All Blues".
  17. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Oh, and I love jamming to Brubeck's "Pick Up Sticks". It's 5 notes over and over but fun to play.
  18. B0_mon

B0_mon

Not been reading that thread lately. My jam buddies like blues, so we play it as a I-IV-V blues. More or less, though, I am given the option. As a bass player, it's more interesting than a "vamp" on G7. That's just me, though.

I have a nice walk that my BL and I came up with. It includes the changes. It's nice to have 6/8 blues walk in my back pocket that I can whip out at a moments notice.

Sounds like an interesting read. In a YouTube clip somewhere, I believe Gregg A. says "Dreams" is the first song he ever wrote. Now, a quick glance at a search comes up with the first song ABB learned all the way through, so it sounds right.

As a digression, I was at the NOLA JazzFest in '10 and ABB was at the (BIG) Acura stage. I had thought "Dreams" was a decent, but not so remarkable song. Well, I had never heard it live or the way DT and OB played it. I was really enjoying the song, and then at some point they drift into "All Blues". Man! That put it on a different level for me.
  19. B0_mon

B0_mon

As you say:

"Aaah say... (ahem) Aaah say.. step... step ahhside, sonnn, and let me show you how it's done..."

Funny as I write this Grant Green's rendition (Matador album) comes up on my Spotify shuffle. Pretty decent too.

Cheers!
  20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

"So What". But I'm not able to play the head convincingly on upright- it's much easier on electric. So satisfying to walk modaly through the rest of the song, tho!