Favourite P/J settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Nov 22, 2013.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

Really diggin my first P/J bass as of late, and I'm just curious about everyone's favourite settings, percentage of bridge/neck, and tone settings. Do you change it up much depending in style being played, or more of set and forget?
    Thanks
  2. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I run mine most of the time as a P only. Occasionally I'll dial in some of the bridge pickup, but usually halfway between all P and an even balance. It rarely if ever goes past the center, and it's never all J.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Both full on
  4. spade2you

spade2you

Both on or either pickup solo'd.
  5. pgolliher

pgolliher

My tone knob setting depends on the genre and life (brightness) of my strings. I like running with the J full on and the P rolled back just a little bit. It gives me a nice mid-range growl that sits really well in the mix with guitars. My P/J with Dimazio DP126s pickups gets an awesome almost MM type growl with this setting. I love it.
  6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It's the reason P/J's are so popular - so much variety of tone. I set it until it sounds right for the particular application, which varies. Same with any 2 pu bass really.
  7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

^^ Same as above ^^, but generally full up on P. About 3/4 on J
  8. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

If I'm playing a PJ I always feel obliged to have everything on full. I prefer the P on it's own most of the time, but will play a traditional P in that instance.
    I never play the J pickup solo, it makes me pluck down by the bridge and makes unpleasant burping noises. Unless it's fretless of course, in which case that back pickup is perfect. :)
  9. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

P full. tone full. J. Only a hair turned on.
  10. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Both P and J on, and run in series. It sounds absolutely brilliant.
  11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I like to solo the P a lot, but I agree with Sir rabbit. The series setting on my four-string is impressive, on the five it's massive! :bassist:

[​IMG]
  12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I tend to run either pickup soloed or 50-50 all the time and that is true of all my basses. But I also run flats a lot. I have a JJ I am getting ready to sell and I put some rounds on it last night because almost no one else would want the fifths tuned Pressure Wounds I had been using on it. Noodling around with it a bit after the change I noticed that mixes other than 50-50 are probably more useful with rounds than with flats.
  13. Basshappi

Basshappi

Well, it depends on what tone I'm going for. That's the beauty of the PJ config, it's versitility.

In the trio I play in I usually run both pups wide open with the tone dialed back 2/3. This gives me clarity and grind but not too much zing. When I want a more fretless-like sound I roll off the P a bit and the tone all the way down.

If I'm going for more of a Bogart/Hill kind of sound then it's P full, just enough J to get some definition and the tone at around 1/2 or a bit less.

If I am trying to get into Lee/Entwistle/Squire territory then it is everything wide open.
  14. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

Usually p full, j 75%, tone full. Sometimes I'll reverse the settings for some funk and clarity.
  15. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

I have two P/J basses - A Squier and a Yamaha BB425X. On the Squier, I tend to run the P wide open with a touch of J. On the Yamaha, I don't have the option to gradually dial in one p/u or the other. It's either full P, full J, or both full on. That being said, I like both full on.
  16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Usually: P 75% to 100%/ J 50% and 75%

once is in a while I will turn the J off...but not often.
  17. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

Love that tone! Although it's close, I find it's still not quite there. Are there any pedals that will get you there? I know both Squire and Lee run their sound through some complex systems, just wondering if there's a an easy fix. I use Roto Swing 66, which I think are the right strings for the job.
    Other than that, what's not to love, anything from Jamerson, to Jaco, to Squire all in one bass!
    I always read about the J sucking tone from the P tone, but comparing to my P bass I haven't found that at all