FDeck help with F#

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neddyrow, Aug 19, 2013.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow

I could use some help dialing in my FDeck at shows.

I've played a few shows now with my FDeck and I am having feedback with only F#. It's very weird. And it happens during indoor and outdoor gigs, using an amp or going direct. My setup is a shen sb300 with a full circle going into a BBE active direct box. I've tried to set the FDeck at each end and right at noon but it still seems to howl at each setting. Any help on this would be appreciated.
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

The knob on the fdeck adjusts the cutoff of the high-pass filter. That wouldn't be expected to help much with feedback in general. The polarity switch can help in some situations. Which F# is causing the problem? The fact that it happens in all sorts of venues suggests that your problem might not be the result of feedback from the amplified sound to the bass. You might have some severe resonance. I suggest that you substitute headphones for a speaker at the end of your signal chain. Listen to what happens when you play that F#.
  3. neddyrow

neddyrow

Thanks for the tip and thanks Francis for the PM. I'll try that when I get a chance. Luckily, my wife and I just brought our new son into the world and are a little distracted for me to try it yet.
  4. Studiodawg

Studiodawg

:hyper: Congratulaions neddyrow!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. neddyrow

neddyrow

I am reviving this thread with a resolution to the problem I was having with my F#. It was the F# on the D string mostly - for the record. What seemed to be the problem, as drub suggested, was that there was a resonance problem. As I have been playing in the basement, I noticed that the D and A strings were causing the body of the bass to buzz a little. I took my bass to the luthier and he and I located the problem at the bridge feet where they meet the top. They were not as flush to each other as they could be. So I left the bass with him to sand the bridge feet to make a perfect fit. Problem seems to be solved with the buzzing and overall sound. I haven't played a show out yet but I wanted to kinda close this thread so if someone ends up in the same situation as me, they won't think it's just the electronics.