1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fdeck HPF vs sfx thumpinator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SenatorBob, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SenatorBob

SenatorBob

Anyone have any experience with each of these? I know the fdeck is designed for upright, but it seems like a lot of electric guys are using them. The Thumpinator is a good bit more expensive, but seems like it was designed more for bass guitar than upright..
  2. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Fdeck HPF-Pre
    - adjustable high-pass filter from 35Hz to 140Hz
    - Series 2 offers +2db boost at max level
    - Series 3 offers +0db boost at max level (unity)
    - MXR-size case
    - 9v DC adapter (series 3) or Battery (all models)
    - 10MOhm input

[sfx] Micro Thumpinator
    - fixed high-pass filter at 30Hz
    - 1590A-size case
    - 9v DC adapter
    - 1MOhm input

Both hand-made. Both high-quality.

The Fdeck is more appropriate for piezo's, but works just fine with magnetic pups.

The Fdeck Series 3 and mThump can live in an amp's FX loop.

What else would you like to know that might be more specific to our setup?
  3. SenatorBob

SenatorBob

Thanks for the info! So is the input impedance the main thing that is different for piezo/magnetic pickups? I know I hear people saying the 10M is better for piezos, but is 1M better for magnetic pickups or is there not much difference?
  4. caeman

Piezo's need the higher impedance to reduce the "piezo quack". I get the whole low-end/high-end roll-off with impedance values confused, but I do know that my Kala U-Bass sounds like tripe with anything but a 10M input.
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Caeman is the man when it comes to these two devices I had the microthumpinator which I recently sold to fund something special and loved it but Im thinking about getting the fdeck I don't gig and I'm just protecting my combo so the cost of the fdeck looks more attractive.
  6. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

With the 10Mohm, the high end would theoretically be extended a bit if you're going direct into the FDeck from a passive bass. Shouldn't be any difference with an active bass, and there won't be an appreciable difference with passive bass. I use an FDeck with magnetic pickups and it works great. Haven't used the [sfx].
  7. caeman

I love Max, nice guy, and I have owned both, but I must admit that I find the Fdeck unit to be superior due to the adjustability. Maybe you have a boomy stage, so you dial it up until the boom disappears and your bass is pristine above the mud.
  8. mjac28

Max is a great guy I have another one of his pedals Chad if I bought the fdeck can I set it and forget it? Like the microthumpinator ?
  9. caeman

Yeah, nothing says you have to move the knob. You can leave it at 35Hz and still get great results under most circumstances.
  10. mjac28

Thanks I think I'm going to go get one.
  11. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I just ordered a series one. I'm pretty stoked. Hey will this help keep my amp from clipping and protect my woofers. Any added info other than what was provided here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Highpassing prevents unwanted distortion tones from blurring the natural overtones.
  13. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

I own a series 3 and it does help with over excursion of the speakers. Also means you can turn up too, your speakers aren't working as hard. IME it hasn't ever changed the tone just filtered out those super low frequencies that you can hardly hear anyways. I have much tighter low-end now. I love it. And I really can't stand playing without it.

Here's a link to another thread about it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865291
  14. gregmon79

Well I I'm going to see if the series 1 does anything for me. It was my bday recently and my girl said she'd pay for a series 3 for me if I wanted. I got a decent deal on the series 1 so I'm not out that much moola if I want a series 3. Which I probably will because the more I'm reading about the series 3, it sounds like that may be the one that's more suited for electric bass overall, which in turn means it's more suited for me.

Where is yours mounted yanks?
  15. gregmon79

Also, no one really answered this straight, will it help me to prevent my amp from clipping as well?? Not trying to be rude, just trying to get a definite answer. Thanks again for all the help fellas.
  16. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

It probably will reduce clipping
  17. gregmon79

Thanks Jonny.
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Will let you push everything a little louder before clipping. Carrying it to the extreme you would have enough clean power to cook woofers instead of shredding them.
  19. gregmon79

Is this you being sarcastic sir? :bag: I don't want to cook my woofers either. Want to make sure I don't do either of these. So I got a limiter as well. Or comp, whichever you'd prefer to call it.
  20. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

Surely you're not clipping a GK 1001RB II? :D