fdeck into which preamp/DI for amp-free gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Clarkybass, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Occasionally its difficult/inconvenient to bring an amp/cab along to a gig and its simplest to just DI to the house PA. I did this successfully on a mini-tour overseas a couple of years ago with a very portable rig comprising my old Eminence upright bass (removable neck) and a Fishman Plat Pro. I now own an fdeck, which deals with my high-pass filter and phase switch requirements, and wonder what you TB'ers would recommend as a good preamp/DI pedal to plug the fdeck into in situations as described above? I prefer to have my amp/cab with me so this is for just occasional use.

The options would be the Fishman Plat Pro Eq (I no longer have mine - or rather my acoutsic guitarist has permanently 'borrowed it'!), the basic Fishman bass preamp (as the fdeck reduces need for some of the Plat Pro's functionality), Baggs Para DI, Headway, D-tar, Sansamp Para, and maybe others. So what would be your top pick for this scenario?
  2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    The top two choices on your list to me are the DTAR and the Headway...I'd lean toward the Headway...the DTAR has great sounding pre amps, but not the best eq for upright, IMO.
  3. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

^^^ post from the future! It's only 7:10pm now!! :)
  4. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. breadbaron

breadbaron Supporting Member

I have a headway that I use whenever I need to go straight into the board. It has two inputs going thru a single EQ...some say these EQ points are not sufficiently bass-oriented, but I've always been able to get a good sound with it. If you don't use a mic or want EQ it might not be worth the ~$300, but it's the most 'musical' sounding preamp/DI I've come across.

Also, it has a hpf (3 settings, not continuously-adjustable) so I usually don't bother with the fdeck in front.
  7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

+1 Mine seems to work fine into a QSC K8. It's not as hi-fi sounding as my Walter Woods and TC 112 combination, but it sounds very good. Makes for a quick load in and load out. I've used it several times to run into the main board, it worked nicely. If you're using either a Realist, or a Full Circle, I'd recommend looking into
    the purchase of one of the Planet Waves Attenuated (Padded) cables,that David Gage sells for the Realist, as both of those pickups have a stronger signal, and you may have trouble using them directly into the EDB-1 with out the attenuation the Planet Waves provides.

Ric
  8. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

I occasionally run my Eminence with a Baggs Para DI. I like it a lot because of 2 reasons: the Baggs has a ton of gain that you can adjust down to very minimal or jack it up if needed; and the para eq is very sensitive so you can make very specific adjustments to your sound. For some reason (and I am not very technically knowledgeable) the Baggs does not work as well for me on a full size acoustic bass. Gary at Eminence actually recommends (or endorses?) the Baggs.
  9. Clarkybass

Thanks all for your comments. It appears consensus is in favour of the Headway. Does anyone else have any dissenting views or alternative suggestions before I hit the 'order' button? :)
  10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Clarky Bass,
    None from here, as I recall you use a Full Circle or Realist pickup. If that's the case, I'd consider ordering the padded cable that's available from David Gage, if you are having trouble with to much gain, on the input stage of Channel 1. It's a much simpler solution, than having the Input gain structure modified inside the box, and costs considerably less.

Ric

Here's the link since it's a little hard to locate
    http://www.davidgage.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=491
  11. Clarkybass

Very helpful again Ric, many thanks!

Edit: Headway plus padded cable ordered :)