FDeck with Acoustic Image?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

Anyone using an FDeck filter with an AI amp? What do you like over AI's built in filter?. If it matters I have the Clarus

Thx
    Dave

2. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

Hey Dave,
    I have the DFdeck and tried it with my AI Clarus when I first got it, but didn't think it added anything. I have found it useful on hired amps though and its a great piece of kit.
    Cheers Geoff

3. All Three

All Three

I have both a Clarus and an fDeck HPF. For most situations I don't use the HPF, as you don't need the impedance buffering, and in most cases the Clarus tames enough low lows.

But it is a lifesaver when you DO need the extra high pass filtering, and phase reversal, etc. Sometimes you may be stuck with a "backline" amp and subwoofer-happy sound guys. A nightmare without the fDeck....

Regards, 3

4. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

Thanks Geoff! I'm glad to hear I don't need another piece in the chain. All Three, I hear you on soundguy problem! There's always a micstand on the gig I can swing at them :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Peredur

Peredur

I have both. I prefer the way the fdeck buffers my piezo.

7. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

I'm using an FDeck with a Series IV Coda. I like being able to change volume and filtering from my mic stand. I'm not sure it is any better than what I have on the Coda, but it is more convenient. Just playing with a guitar and vocals over a PA; bass only goes through the Coda.

8. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

The fdeck is one of those things I'd never be without so in your place I'd just get it and try it and see what you think. No doubt someone here would buy it from you if you found you never used it.

My second setup is an original series AI head that doesn't have the filter and Series III Ten2-EX, and I use it for that.

-S-

9. Don Sibley

Don Sibley Supporting Member

I have all three fdecks but never use any of them with my Clarus+. I only use them when another amp is provided. The built in preamp and HPF in the Clarus are highly effective and super-musical.

10. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

I don't feel the need for an fdeck with my Clarus as its in-built HPF does the business. I find that my Underwood needs buffering which I do with a Fishman Pro-eq.

Like some of the other posters I use an fdeck when I am going through an amp that doesn't have an HPF, such as my Genz and Tecamp. The fdeck then takes care of buffering and phase reversal as well.

11. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

Just as a follow up,because I forgot, the fdeck is particularly effective with the GK 150MBS. The little unit sits on top of the amp, held in place by the handle. Previously I had to play with the low cut switch in but while that got rid of the boom it also took a lot of bass with it. The fdeck transforms the amp and, if I may say so, brings it right up to date.