fdecks HPF, Part II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Just to get the ball rolling...nothing but praise for my Series 3 :)
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one, love it, and use it for:
    -tighten up my walkabout, which can have too much fat sometimes. sure, you can do that with the semi-para eq set to 50 hz, but this works a little nicer
    -tighten up the GK MBF500/800, sometimes. They don't seem to have lots of high pass filtering built in. most times, no prob; but, it some rooms, hpfIII is helpful!
    -with DB to cure feedback/boom. usually, just hitting the phase reversal solves everything.

neat tool.

Hi Mark!
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1
    In my signal chain 100% of the time.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jnumme

jnumme Low End To No End Supporting Member

Just received a new HPF 3 and WUV IT ! so much easier to adjust for room size and volume .
  7. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well I'm Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Best "pedal" on my board.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

When you take out lows that are booming in the room or distorting your cab, all that is left is what you want to hear.
  9. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

It really helps me to feed my cabs all the power they can take!

My main gigging cab is an Xsonics 212CF which is never plagued with boom because it is built with 2 Eminence 3012HO 12" drivers. These drivers can take a real beating but their Xmax isn't quite as deep as the 3012LF so revered by the Fearfull users.

The Fdeck HPF3 takes away the need for that extra Xmax in the drivers and really allows the 3012HO's to work in their usable range. Considering the small size of the Xsonics 212CF paired with a HPF3 set at 35Hz, you'd be amazed at the sound levels it's capable of. Just need a big power amp!

I've also found it beneficial in some bars to use the polarity flip switch to rephase my signal when my bands small p.a. sub and my cab position are not working well together.

I can't imagine doing any gigs without it now. A fine tool for any bass player.
  10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

One of the few pieces of gear I happily bought new at full price and never once thought about selling.
  11. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Gold Supporting Member

I'm thinking of putting my rig on an Auralex Gramma and putting my HPF3 on the feed to my PA's subwoofers.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If you're running a rig as well you might want two.

My preference would be on the bass rig pre send if you only have one. The house pa should always have its own hpf. If you're trying to cut the boom addicted soundguy off at the source you're on the right track but your own cab will be flubbing.
  13. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Gold Supporting Member

My RH750 has a fair amount of HPF built in and the Auralex will take care of the "hollow stage syndrome".

I run the PA and will use the HPF3 on the subwoofer send from the mixing board.
  14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I always use my Fdeck 3 to control over-excursion with my Crazy8 cabs. It's not quite as essential for my Fearless 110 or 210 cabs, which have very high excursion capability and produce very low end. Except for controlling low end in sonically bad rooms, I'm using it less or not at all with my Monique tube preamp as it negatively affects the chain. Overall it's a very useful tool in the right circumstances.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How does the series 3 benefit where the series 1 doesn't?? I have a series 1 last in my chain and I don't even notice it there but I'm sure it's doing it's job. I just keep the one knob maxed and the one switch set to +. Still not sure what that switch does.....
  16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

In. And on my board, or more precisely, under it.
  17. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

The comparison sheet and descriptions for all three models is here.
    For me it being in a more robust metal case and being able to power it with an external PSU are important differences.
  18. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Jeff. Yes, being able to power in externally would be a good thing to have. I really need to remember to grab a series 3 when I have the money again.
  19. jnumme

jnumme Low End To No End Supporting Member

do it i did and like it
  20. audiorep2

audiorep2

Solves all the subsonic problems I was having with my Ramirez Baby Bass.
    Running Yamaha PB1 into Berg IP112ER/HT112ER.
  21. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The + is a phase switch. It helps mostly with double bass I believe, where you can run into sound issues with certain pups and sound systems. The one knob maxed...does maxed mean at the top of the arrow/all the way counter-clockwise or does it mean all the way clockwise like most knobs? If clockwise is the case you aren't cutting until the 35hz frequency in which case you really wouldn't notice much with your GK setup. It is, however, offering some protection to your speakers.