Fdeck's HPF

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mike Arnopol, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Tb'er Fdeck has come up with a new variable High Pass Filter that has a fixed 12db/octave filter at 35 hz and another variable 12db/octave filer from 35 to 140 hz.

Francis sent me one to try. I've been so busy pumping out cabs that I hadn't had the chance to try it.
    My big thing is obviously how does it affect the performance of my cabs. I took a Crazy 8 and got it loud enough for port chuff. I love the word chuff. It's an onomatopoeia. Which means that the word sounds like what it describes. What does port chuff sound like? Chuff. Fortunately the C8 goes very loud before you hear it. Which I'm very happy about.
    So, got it to chuff.Plugged in the Fdeck HPF. Didn't even have to get it past the initial 35 hz. Chuff gone.

Took the HPF out. Now don't try this at home. One great thing about the Faital drivers---they go really far without farting out. I played it SO loud (as loud as my 12" 3012ho) and got it to make the nasty sound when the voice coil hits the back plate. Fortunately I don't have to buy the owner of the cab a new woofer. Put in the HPF and dialed it up at the highest setting. The clack was gone. As I expected---but so was the low bass. Kept dialing it down. I wasn't a whole lot past the lowest setting when I didn't really notice the missing bass. But no more voice coil smack. The interesting thing---the C8 actually got LOUDER. I think it was because I was no longer using my amp's recources amplifying crap I didn't want to amplify anyways.
    The C8 as well as the 88 go substantially louder with the HPF. Substantially louder. I would tell my customers that the C8 would be fine handling a jazz trio gig with drums at piano trio volume. Let me up that to a quartet with the HPF. Or maybe---shall I say it?---a jazz group with guitar!

I then tried it with electric bass with a C8 + C88 stack. Just set it on the lowest setting. It went louder and sounded more effortless. I boosted the bass until I started chuffing (it was hard to tell--that stack goes really loud---I had to discern between the chuffing and half of my house making weird sounds). I then dialed the HPF up just a bit. Only enough so that I didn't feel like I was compromising the bass sound. Big difference,

I'm recommending it for e-bass too.

I didn't ask for a cut on this nor do I want one. I know that Francis isn't making a bunch of dough here---just a labor of love. I'm just happy that it makes my cabs sound better!

And by the way--in my typical narcissism I failed to mention that it would give any amp and speaker a bigger dynamic range.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Any news on a release date for the new HPF that's been discussed? Either as finished units or as kits? We've been waiting patiently.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

I'd like to know more; what is it's form factor, how/where does it hook up in a bass system, pics, etc.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's in prototype.

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

If it also had a VLPF, it could function as a compact crossover to divide frequencies between a crazy8 and a small sub. :bag:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good for F. Good guy who makes a preamp a lot of folks like.

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd love to see 8 of these in a single rack space. I the HPF on my mixer is fixed at 80Hz, and sometimes I'd like a little more flexibility.

10. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

sign me up. i'm very interested.

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    so the new one is going to be just an HPF without the preamp? if so, i'd like to buy one as soon as they're available. i think that it would be great to use an adjustable one (35-140hz) in an amp's effects loop, or would the piezo pre one that Francis currently makes be just as good for that?

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    This would be brilliant.

13. BFunk

I hope this takes a line level balanced/unbalanced signal and is unity gain.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Seems like they should come as an option with every speaker cab. Or even standard to get a higher performance out of smaller cabs.

15. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I've been loving my origional fdeck preamp/hpf for awhile. I don't understand how this one is different? I've e-mailed him in the past about doing a HPF/LPF version but, didn't get a response. A great product though.

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    A lot of bass amps have a HPF built in at a fixed frequency, usually around 20-30Hz. SWR amps come to mind as one that doesn't, at least on the pre-Fender models.

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Mike, thanks for the report! I'm off to my day job, but will try to provide some more details tonight.

18. BFunk

fdeck - Would you include power requirements? Thanks.

19. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

20. mowburger

mowburger

Interested:

I always use the HPF on my Crown XLS2000 but the lowest freq is 50hz, Would Like one of these actually in my cab.

21. kris pung

kris pung

Very interested in this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.