1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FEA Dual Band Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Aug 6, 2010.

1. FreaqyFrequency

FreaqyFrequency

Sorry if I missed the boat on an already existing thread on this one, but after a quick scan, I see nothing.

http://www.fealabs.com/products/DBD-0001.html

Really, really liking what I see here. He must have put an exhausting amount of thought into this circuit.
  2. smo

smo

That's some impressive work there!
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Looks like Frank is hitting another home run here!
  4. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

If you are prone to gas do not click that link. There's some dangerous info in there!!!!
  5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    This man is some sort of evil genius. Between his comps and this disto my wallet officially hates him.
  6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

This is an awesome idea.
  7. bassbmx

bassbmx

Oh man... I was warned. That looks so cool!

I'm so happy with my dual band comp and I'm sure this will be just as good.
  8. Swift713

Swift713

9. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow Supporting Member

This is the kind of pedal that should have been created years ago, and I will absolutely be buying one. FEA cannot lose with these great ideas.
  10. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
  11. zipflint

zipflint

Damn. Oh DAMN. That's 6 shades of awesome.
  12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Wizardry! Supporting Member

Interesting.
  13. seedokebass

seedokebass Supporting Member

Wow that sounds awesome... am I blind, or is there no pricing info on this unit?

Any one own their Growler pedal?
  14. FreaqyFrequency

FreaqyFrequency

It hasn't been released yet, if you read the first line of information it says that it's still in prototyping. Apparently, he thinks he'll be finished soon, as his preliminary first ship-date estimate is the end of August.

At least a couple people own Growlers on this forum. A quick search for "Growler" will reveal some owners' thoughts.
  15. buglen

buglen Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Administrator, FEALabs.com
    Thanks for all the very cool comments!

So, the prototype is nearly completed and I should be getting my covetous paws on this puppy toward the end of the week for testing. One of the key areas I’ll be checking is the range of different voices that can be dialed in using the various control options. So, I was thinking (it happens occasionally) that perhaps the excellent community of bass players at TB might be able to help me define some test cases, and I had an idea.

Most of you have found a very sweet distortion sound (or two or three) that you are already producing or are trying to achieve. If you have a sound clip or YouTube video that demonstrates your ideal distortion sound, please post a link to it in this thread and I’ll attempt to reproduce it using the prototype (or come as close as possible). I’ll then post sound clips and link directly to them from this thread (quoting the original sample) for your review and critique.

What say you, good people?

Also as an FYI: A minor change was made to the audio path during prototype voicing to move the dry blend to the low frequency band instead of the full frequency range. Updates to the details and block diagram will be posted to the web site very soon.
  16. zipflint

zipflint

Here's an example of one of my most favorite sounds I've been able to get outta the pedals I've got.
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9368383
    Details on the signal chain are in the link, and I'm using a Digitech BSW in part of that chain so I don't know if this is fair or not.
    :bag:
    I'm still really looking forward to the dual band distortion!!!
  17. Deepak

Deepak

Why didn't I read this post first? :(
  18. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Not me. As far as I've learned, he gets this sound biamping. He has two Orange heads, an AD200B and a Thunderverb 200, each running into an SVT810.
  19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't been able to find an audio clip of it, but the short distorted bass riff that was in TV ads for Dodge trucks for a couple years sticks out in my mind as a great tone that no pedal I've tried can quite achieve. Here's hoping somebody knows what I'm talking about, or better yet knows of a link to that riff. :)
  20. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    That riff was played with a pick right? Kinda sounded like it. Being a commercial, I bet it was a plugin of some sort.

This pedal looks pretty danged cool anyhoo.