FEA Growler - Analog Octaver w/out the Octave?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Nov 23, 2009.

1. FreaqyFrequency

FreaqyFrequency

2. Kano2864212

Kano2864212

it sounds like the tone of my OC-2 without the octave. im very interested to see what the price will be for such fatness
  3. groooooove

groooooove

cant listen to clips here, no speakers but, is this what i think it is? the tone of sometihng like an organ player covering the bass, only not an octave down? ive wanted that for quite some time..
  4. speak_onion

speak_onion

Doesn't sound like an OC-2 to me at all. It sounds way too natural, and not enough harmonics. Pretty boring actually. To me. I was hoping for some square wave action or something.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. adube810

adube810

Disclosures:
    Physician CSR, Park Surgical Co INC
    thats surprisingly pretty farking cool
  7. FreaqyFrequency

FreaqyFrequency

I'm waiting to see the function of the filter switch and the bright knob. Still, I agree: it doesn't sound much like an OC-2. More like the Octamizer sound from clips I've heard, actually.
  8. icarussmicarus

icarussmicarus

I wonder what it would sound like with a digital octaver running into it, might make up for the lame digital sound.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The blended sound is cool, but I do think it should have a more intense tone/effect.
  10. icarussmicarus

icarussmicarus

FEA seem to respond well to suggestion, maybe you could tell him Bongo?
  11. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I wonder how it would sound after a fuzz. if it would actually bring back some of the low end loss of a Muff or Rat type pedal.
  12. bongomania

Disclosures:
    I just now emailed him. :)
    A) there is no such thing as an effect to "bring back" lows that have been cut off. The best you can do is boost the lows and low mids that didn't get cut off, and you don't need anything fancy for that--any EQ will do.
    B) this effect was designed to boost upper harmonics, not lower fundamentals.
  13. Swift713

Swift713

Interesting, I kind of liked the wet sound but it needs more bottom. The effect was a bit too subtle with the blend. I was also wondering how this would sound in conjunction with an octave. It would be very cool if it had an octave down in the same box.
  14. FreaqyFrequency

FreaqyFrequency

Any reply yet, Bongo?
  15. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Yeah, he says it is already capable of more intense sounds than he demoed, but that he prefers mild coloration so that's what he recorded. He also said his brother made pretty much the same suggestions I made, viz. intensifying the effect and also replacing the boost footswitch with a "more effect" switch, so you'd have your choice of bypassed, mild harmonics, and mega harmonics. More development is being done.
  16. icarussmicarus

icarussmicarus

A blendable effect loop could be a good idea, that way you could blend in your clean signal with a loop effected by the growler, might make the suggestion I had above about running it after a digital octaver cool.

Also might be cool for step sequence style effects which often sound quite thin on bass, if you could blend dry in and then growlify the steps, could be coolness.
  17. bongomania

Disclosures:
    I suggest anyone who's interested in some aspect or version of this should email Frank (FEA) with your ideas. He's a great guy, very receptive to input, and the more he hears from potential customers, the more viable his end product will be.
  18. buglen

buglen Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Administrator, FEALabs.com
    For anyone who is interested, the updated design has been published to the product page on the web site. The updates include a separate channel configuration with the gen filter switch and brightness control for the more intense harmonic effects. Additional sound clips have been added to the Media page as well to demonstrate some of the potential settings on the second channel.

@icarussmicarus - Your idea is very interesting. As Bongo suggested, please send Frank an email (info@fealabs.com or use the Contact page on the site) and provide some details on the application of the loop. Thanks! :~)
  19. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Holy carp! I could have used that this week for a track! I'd have to see how it 'feels' and tracks, but I can totally use that sound.

Add in an expression pedal that replaces the blend knob & I'm sold!!!
  20. FreaqyFrequency

FreaqyFrequency

Definitely excited about the possibilities for this circuit. It could end up being the perfect "thickener", and not just in the low end. :hyper:
  21. icarussmicarus

icarussmicarus

Donerz.