1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fEARful™ Part Twelve (12)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by greenboy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  2. atrapp

atrapp Gold Supporting Member

3. KingRazor

KingRazor

3rd! (2nd reply)

I finally have a garage I can build one of these in, now I just need money...
  4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

My 15/6 cut kit, drivers, etc. were shipped by Leland (Featuring Eminence Speakers, Crown Amplifiers, DIY Speaker Kits - Speaker Hardware, over 30 years Audio experience) yesterday! In a week or so I should have my very own cab of awesomeness! I had a 3-space rack (aka, airhead) incorporated onto mine, so I'll add my Ampeg SVP-PRO and my Crown XLS1500 and have the second-most-ultimate COMBO OF DOOM! Ultimate would be, of course, a 1515/66, but space & weight considerations prevailed. Besides, any gig I will ever play where a 15/6 with 1,000+ watts would be inadequate will obviously have PA support.
  5. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

And you'll need quite a bit more than before, unfortunately. The price of neodymium drivers has basically doubled. I wish I'd have bought my drivers back in the spring. I'm only able to build one b/c I'm selling off most of my guitar equipment.
  6. dhomer

dhomer

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    Thing is, even w/the price of components the way they are, fEARful is IMO still the best bang for the buck.. It's like bassplayer Beano.. no more GAS... Invest once, have great sound for life..
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

[​IMG]

A quick picture for motivation purposes.

Most recent show: Outdoor festival stage, running both 15/6+15/sub with Peavey IPR-3000 bridged for the full 3Kw of power. Clean and clear with big lows at extremely loud volume. At one point both the monitor and FOH engineers came up with flashlights in hand to check out the speakers and boxes...They'd never seen such a rig.

They ran 2 lines from my setup. They took a DI from my Kern, and also mic'ed the 15/6 right near the 6" speaker. The FOH sound man, when I told him it was a 2-way setup jumped at the chance to get the lows from the DI and mid/high definition from the speaker.
  8. KingRazor

KingRazor

Yeah, even after the price increase on the Neos, A fEARful is still only a little more expensive than an Acme Low-B cab, which would be my second choice. I really want a transparent cab, and the fEARful is pretty affordable actually in that regard.

Plus, if I buy it in pieces, it'll be easier on the wallet.

Also, I get the experience of putting together a bass cab, which sounds like a good learning experience (and a lot of fun!)
  9. 3506string

3506string

The price of the drivers had doubled but they have come down a bit.

A quick search I found 3015lf $205 shipped

EMINENCE KAPPALITE 3015LF 15" Neodymium Subwoofer 900W - eBay (item 190551779259 end time Aug-03-11 08:31:50 PDT)

3012lf for $270 shipped speaker hardware is out of stock but they usually have them for 250 + shipping

Amazon.com: Eminence Kappalite 3012LF Neo 12 Driver: Electronics

And 6nd/nm410 hasn't really changed at around $140. There was a company selling pair for this price but I believe they are all sold out.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly.

Bass beano indeed.... :cool:
  11. mikeddd

LOL@"Bass Beano" That's exactly what I'm hoping for. If I can kill my "Cab GAS" that only leaves "Bass GAS, Amp GAS & Pedals GAS" One down, four to go. :D

My kit is shipping today; I can't wait to get started!!!
  12. Bardley

Bardley

I should be ordering a kit very soon. I will post pics when I get things rolling.
  13. KingRazor

KingRazor

After having one of these I'd only have Bass GAS and "Signal Processor" GAS...
  14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

I'm using "nEarful" cabs built by Don @ LDS and have only experienced exhilaration, never indigestion. Thanks Greenboy for showing us the way!

[​IMG]
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Hey fEarful'ites [DEL]I'm looking for an Alpha 6 or AlphaLite 6 in 8 ohms - pretty quickly. If anyone has one to unload, lemme know otherwise I call Parts Express, etc [/DEL]...

Snagged one from Leland

Thanks!
  16. mikeddd

4Mal: You should sign up at GBs forums and post there too. Can't hurt. Good luck.

fEARful
  17. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
  18. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Scented meat Supporting Member

Sub'd

Still trying to convince myself to build a 15/6 first instead of a 12/6. I've got small and light covered with my shuttle 6 12t combo + ext cab. If I need more than the 15/6, I could build the 12/6 cube ( or 15 sub) later.

Money in hand... Still can't decide. I have a sneaking suspicion a pair of 12/6's would be all I'd ever need (and everything my genz 12t's aren't). But I do have my marriage to consider. So it may just have to be one for now.
  19. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    I finally got the time (and the courage) to put the crossover together, and it was easier than I thought it would be! Now I just need to wire everything up and seal the cabinet.

Here's the crossover (6ND410 above, 3012LF below):
    [​IMG]:hyper::hyper:
  20. Rick Blanc

Rick Blanc Supporting Member

If only I had the time, the tools, the talent, the patience and the courage to try building one of these. I do have a garage though. So I do at least have the space.