1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

fEARful 15/16 vs 12/16

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jordan2, Dec 15, 2013.

1. jordan2

jordan2

Hi everyone, I am going to be building a fearful cab in a month or two and am doing some research about what I want to make. Right now my biggest decision is whether to go with the 15/6 or 12/6, (if I went the 12 route I might build a sub somewhere down the line).

My main question is IS A 12/6 LOUD ENOUGH BY ITSELF.

Loud is obviously very subjective so here is what I mean.
    I play in jazz settings that require minimal amplification (upright) but also rock and hip hop groups with loud drumming. I want the ability to get loud but also a small cab. What are your experiences with the trade of (size and volume). What do you guys use?

Thank you so much for your help.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

All the fearfulites had humongous nights out last night?

There have been a few who have downsized from 15/6 to 12/6 pairings. How big of a room do you want to carry off the stage at rock concert level?
  3. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music! Supporting Member

I can't speak on comparing the 2, but I used to run 500 watts @ 4 ohms into 2-15's and now I run 500 watts @ 8 ohms into a 15/6 fEARful....I haven't been dis-appointed yet. Everything I read when I researched fEARful said the voicing between the 2 is the same and a lot of players are happy with a lone 12/6. I'm sure others will chime in soon!
  4. gpx1200

gpx1200

no personal experience yet as I'm still working on my 1212/6/1 but one thing to keep in mind is with only one 15/6 youll be staying at 8 ohms and possibly never using your amp to its full potential but if you build another 12/6 later you will end up with 4 ohms and get full output from your amp.
    or do what I did and go right off the deep end and build a 1212/6 or 1515/66 right from the start.
    another thing I learned after comiting to my build is that 2 of the alpha mids(used in the 12/6 only) are smother than one 18sound mid that you would use in a 15/6 or 1212/6
  5. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

A 12/6 is a very loud cab for its size, but don't expect miracles.
    To get all of its potential you need wattage in the 500w @8 ohms range.
    All of my experience with it was in a loud metal band and it wasn't quite enough. Against a 100w mesa and a half stack it was out matched but just barely.
    Two would have been fine. I believe a 15/6 would have been much better by itself.
    Cost for one 15/6 is cheaper than two 12/6s, so there is always that.
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

If you'd use a 410, then a 15/6 is enough and a 12/6 is not. If a 210 would do, then a 12/6 will.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For me:
    No, the 12/6 is not a standalone cab.
    With a 12sub, it kills,
    And I prefer that stack to a 15/6 alone.

The 15/6 is pretty well gig worthy, but I like the taller 12/6+sub stack much better
  8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

A 15/6 will exceed a 410 given enough watts. A 12/6 will match possibly exceed a 310.

I started with a 15/6. Then I built a 12/6 and bought a 12sub. Once I had the 12 stack, the 15/6 went untouched for months so I sold it. Now I REALLY loved that 15/6 and put alot of thought into its build so to sell it was something I thought I'd never do. Its been probably a year since then and no regrets. BTW, you can build the 15/6 light... mine was 43LBS.

I also like to have 500w at 8 ohms as a baseline.

In my opinion if you could do with a 310 (such as the epifani ul310.... which I have owned) in your loud band a 12/6 will definitely get you there.
  9. Chef

Disclosures:
    IMO, a 12/6 is no match for the Epi 310
    Ymmv.
  10. joelb79

joelb79

You might be fine with loud jazz and a 12/6 but the 15/6 is going to be the bare minimum to getting above a loud hip-hop drummer (IME). the 12/6 is going to get loud enough to do a lot of stuff, but nowhere near a properly powered 15/6 which will do anything a 410 can do and more. If you cannot provide the power to the 15/6 though, I think a 410 is louder in frequencies where it counts than the 15/6 will ever be.

I would rather have a 410 if you only have 300w is what I'm getting at.
  11. jordan2

jordan2

Thanks for the feedback everyone! If it helps I will be using a Little Mark II to power this (500 watts@ 4 ohms, 300@8 ohms) so not a ton of power but decent. Right now I'm looking at the 12/6 because it can be more flexible, and I can get into the fearful world starting small. I'll just have to wait a little bit before I get really loud.
  12. mog416

mog416

I built two 12/6s running through a streamliner 900. I love them. Plenty loud in a 5 piece band. Light and flexible. At rehearsal I usually use one of the 12/6s
  13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

12/6 with a LMII ? Not enough power . 15/6 and LMII ? Much better match . I play in a loud rock band and had to crank the LMII all the way to keep up with my 12/6/1 . I had much more luck with a 15/6 , got loud enough with less power .

[​IMG]
  14. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    What he said !
  15. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I gigged the 12/6 stand-alone - It kicked ass all through the bar! the bar itself was vibrating very nice :)
    But it's one single speaker. I currently add a second 12/6 to get the dual-woofer mojo. But for smaller gigs, the 12/6 is absolutely fine! Don't be fooled by it's size. It puts out more than my ashdown abm410 (especially when talking CLEAN).

I went this road to have a fully variable rig! 2 cabinets for all the mojo, two standalone cabs for different locations or small gigs. Both are very light, 20 kg fully loaded.
    Going the +sub road leaves you with a less-variable stack for 100 euro less - not my choice.
  16. delta7fred

delta7fred

My mileage does vary!

I have downsized from a 15/6 to a 12/6 and it works for me (without PA support) but we don't play at war volume so one side of my amp is enough (around 320w IIRC). I carry a bridge cable but have not needed to use it in 2 years of fEARful use.

I play a standard tuned 5 string, have a 24db/oct 35Hz high pass filter permanently connected and don't boost the lows but do boost low mids.
  17. Chef

Disclosures:
    Man, you and I see this completely differently.
    Which is fine.

But, a 12/6 is "just a really good 112," IMO, and saying it's a 410 equivalent, and, actually better than a 410 is a gross overstatement.
    IMO.

My Epi UL410 would flat out crush -any-112 I've ever played, including the fF 12/6 and Bear ML112; both of which are "top shelf super 12's."

Again, I really like my 12/6/1, but "it's not miracle sauce." It's a really good 112; but, it's still a 112. Without the 12sub under it, it's only good for rehearsals, and small gigs for me; and I -do not- play in uber loud bands.

18. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I don't get your point, really. Are you saying that a 12/6, although being a top-shelf-super-12 cannot cut it without a second cab?

the OP asked for something that is OK for jazz gigs -> I think a 12/6+12sub stack (or a 15/6) might be a bit overkill.
    Also he wants to compete with a loud drummer -> My 12/6 can compete with our freaky loud drummer. Even more our drummer is afraid of my 12/6
    For HipHop/Crossover things, I think a single 12/6 is on the weak side, that's why I suggested a second 12/6.
  19. Chef

Disclosures:
    Yes, that's what I'm saying.
    I was not happy with the 12/6/1 for jazz gigs; nor the ML112, not the AudioKinesisTC112.
    I need more cab than that.

Maybe you don't, which is fine, and your prerogative.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

It wouldn't be big enough for me. But then, there are some shows where I've brought a single 15/6 and pushed it to its limits too.

I personally found that the LMII wasn't suited perfectly to power a fEARful setup to its fullest advantage. When it reaches it's clean limit, it starts breaking up in the mids in an ugly way, and I didn't like hearing that happening in the 6".