Fearful 15/6 as a PA Subwoofer & Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tunaman, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I NEED new Subs for my bands PA and as an occasional DJ. Why not get subs I could also use as bass cabs when subs aren't needed right?

I want a pair of Fearfuls to be 15/6 or 15/6/1s so I can use them as a big change up from my GK NEO 412 which by the way sounds great but is tuned pretty high (-3dB): 54Hz - 19kHz

I'm in a dance funk top 40s cover band with a 5 string so some additional low end in my cabs would probably be pretty cool BUT my main NEED are Subwoofers

Has anyone used their 15/6s as PA subwoofers? I'd have them crossed over around 120hz to JBL 12" mains with my DBX crossover (which should automatically take the 6" & horn out of play). Other wise my other option was a pair of ...Carvin TRx 2118 Subs

How would the Fearful 15/6 compare to the Carvin 18" sub?

I tried on the Greenboy forum, got very little response. Posted in the amps section because Fearful 15/6 are more of a bass cab than a subwoofer,

Thanks
    Tuna

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

If you're going for a sub and want the fEARful route, you should be talking about the 15 sub, not the 15/6, which has a mid.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

...and a sub by itself makes a poor choice for a bass cab.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    He wants it to double as a bass rig for when he isnt using it as PA subs.

I have run a full band through my '66 for practice, sans drums. An e kit sounds good through it, so I dont know why it wouldnt work just fine.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. makohund

makohund

Yep... wants a dual purpose bass rig & sub, is thinking a 15/6 would work.

I saw the question over there, the answer was/is "yes, works great", and even "that's what I do".

So the only remaining question is the comparison to the Carvin 18 sub. Don't know.

7. Tunaman

Yeah, thats the million dollar question

In particular to the kick drum, will it still hit as hard as that Carvin 18" sub or close?

I'd have to spend at least $1000 on the 2 subs plus a poweramp upgrade. For that scratch if the Fearfuls can get it done, especially for outdoor venues I'd rather go that route & use them for bass cabs in the winter

8. Tunaman

9. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

FWIW I haven't used the Carvin subs, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.....

I use 15/subs for my band, they work great. The 15/6 would be the same, especially if you're using an active x-over. I think you'll have a hard time finding someone who has used both. How much power will you be driving them with? I would think there would be someone around the Boston area with a fEARful. If you could find them, see if you could demo it with them sometime. Use a kick drum track and it would give you an idea at least.

10. thekyle55

thekyle55

I've used my 66 as a sub more than once.

It works great. Most likely, the TRX subs are capable of a little more output. I think my 66 was about comparable to a pair of LS18 subs output-wise. Soundwise, it wasn't even close. With your 12" mains, I think they would be a good match. If not, well then just get a couple more.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

I've done it with a 15/6 and a 12/6 + 12sub. All run with a Carvin hd1500 with the crossover set at 100hz.... so nothing over 100hz got thru. If you used a 15/6/1 it would work great and double as a bass cab... amazingly.

In fact I have strongly thought of starting a dj business using my fEARfuls as subs. I have all the gear except a laptop.

As others have said, see if you can try a 15/6 yourself and see if you like it.

12. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

+1 I've used my 15/6/1 cabs for PA and they work well as DJ speakers and as a monster bass rig when you need to bring the thunder with well-defined mids and highs. I designed this pair from the fEarful plans with the same bracing and tuning but opting for a side port to get a 24"h x 21"w x 18"d dimension so that the pair can fit end to end between the wheel wells of a full sized truck or SUV in case pack space is tight. These are 12mm birch and have the 3015LF woofer, 6ND410 mid with -5dB LPad, ASD1001 HF driver with JBL 90x90 waveguide, and a 3-way 500 watt crossover at 800/3500 Hz. The -5dB pad and 3500 Hz mid/high crossover make the mids smoother but still present. They sound good and mirrored baffles line the mid and high drivers up when stacked to improve dispersion. Here's a few construction and finished pics. If you're interested send me a PM.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    My guess would be that that Carvin is a bit more capable in the subwoofer role, especially if its protected against over-excursion by a highpass filter. Its larger voice coil and consequent higher thermal power handling would probably give it a bit of an edge. That being said, the 3015LF used in the fEARful was designed primarily as a subwoofer, which happens to have enough top end extension to work well in a two or three way bass cab.

So if the Carvin is right at the ragged edge of adequacy, then that might be asking a bit much of the fEARfuls. But if the Carvins would easily give you a comfortable margin then I think the fEARfuls would work fine, and imo the fEARfuls would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone.

14. Fro 20

Fro 20

plus you can make a switch for the mid driver. I have a three-way switch on my 15/6 for the mid driver which is -0db, -3 (or maybe 6 i forget now) db, and OFF.

in the off position the cab functions like a 15sub and with the right amp/eq is pretty badass

EDIT: however, I have never used it as a PA sub

15. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Definitely agree with Duke's comment. The 15/6 is a good multipurpose cab as long as you don't have unreasonable expectations. It would be worth adjusting the crossover point to see what sounds best, but with most subs you'd typically roll it off pretty steeply in the 100 - 120 Hz area to transition to the JBL 12 tops.

16. Tunaman

Ends up I'm going to grab a pair of Yamaha CW118 subs for $500. At that price I can sell them for break even while I wait for a Fearful 15/6 stack to magically appear in the Boston area! If that happens I'll have an A\B report & the winner stays

I looked at the price of the flat pack to build myself & thats around $800 EACH for a 15/6/1 . Its just a bit too much to invest $1600 into without knowing for sure. I really would like a Fearful stack for bass cabs more than subs though. Keep an eye out for me! Thanks!