1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fearful 15/6 Celestion BN15-400S

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cwz, Dec 29, 2013.

1. cwz

cwz

I'm just starting a Fearful 15/6 build and came across a deal on Celestion BN15-400S speakers. Would this be a good substitute for the Eminence 3015LF? The TS parameters look close in some respects but not in others. I'm don't have enough experience to know if the differences will be a problem. Anyone care to venture a guess?

Celestion BN15-400S
    [​IMG]
    photo hosting

Eminence 3015LF
    [​IMG]
    screen capture
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

An X-Max of 2.5mm compared to the 3015's 9.6mm makes it not even close at all.

Laughable actually.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1000000
  4. cwz

cwz

Does the Xmax roughly translate to SPL?
  5. Cirk

Cirk

Xmax is the distance the cone will travel. This is directly proportional to the volume of air moved. It is relevant to note that the Eminence driver has an efficiency rating 4db higher than the Celestion, which means it's better than twice as loud.
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Xmax is the distance the cone can travel in one direction and remain "undistorted" or linear. When you multiply the actual cone area by that travel distance you get "how much air" the speaker can displace to "make" sound. Barefaced does a good job of explaining most things and dispelling myths in their tech section: http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/Volume-displacement.htm lots of good reading there!
    There is also Xlim which is the maximum the cone can travel before mechanical damage happens.
  7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Quick correction.........

Twice as loud is +10db

I think you meant to say that it would take twice the power to make the Celestion as loud as the 3015lf
  8. tom-g

tom-g

Short answer: yes
  9. cwz

cwz

Thanks for the responses.

So if loud is what I want, and that's what I want, the Celestion BN15-400s will not cut it.
  10. B-string

Correct and the cab design was not made around that speaker's requirements so strike three it's out. ;)
  11. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Any speaker other then what the cab was designed for will not cut it.
  12. tom-g

tom-g

If you want a Fearful, you need to build to spec. The complete package is designed with only the specified components. There are no options for the 15/6. There is a price to pay for a high end design like a Fearful.
  13. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

The resonant frequency (fs) specs are pretty close, but the Q and Vas parameters are off quite a bit. That would directly effect the size of both the enclosure and port. You'll need a good enclosure design program (or lots of manual calculations) to determine how the other driver will perform in the existing design. Chances are, it won't work well. And that's in addition to the perviously mentioned Xmax spec.
  14. cwz

cwz

OK, I'll stop trying to pinch pennies and build it to spec.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Atta boy!!!!! :D
  16. B-string

That is the only sensible plan of action, otherwise you might as well buy a standard production cab and get better performance. What you were wanting to do is like putting a Honda 4 cylinder engine in a high end sports car. It might still look like a Ferrari, but it won't perform like one.
  17. lowsmatter

lowsmatter

What BassmanPaul & tom-g said.... you'll be glad you followed the fEARful spec.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

So, the corollary is that I can drop this in my Honda and get......... :bassist:

Attached Files:

19. B-string

A twisted frame undriveable Honda :D