fEARful 15/6 Pictoral!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Okay, what I have done is go thru all the fEARful mega threads, the fEARful talkbass wiki, and anywhere else I thought might have what I was looking for. What I have done is collected all the pics of Greenboy designed fEARful 15/6 cabs. I have not included nearfuls or any other cabs besides the 15/6 variation since that is what has dominated my psyche. Originally, I just collected the pics for my own satisfaction. I put them into a slide show and reveled. Obsessed much? Yup! But hey, I've had lots of time during my 5 days off work for Easter weekend. Anyway, since I had all these pics downloaded I figured I'd put up a fEARful 15/6 Pictoral on TB. One of the many things I like about these cabs is how each builder can make them look however they like.

If you have a pic of a fEARful 15/6 that is not already here please feel free to post it. It does not have to be a 15/6 but it DOES have to be a fEARful. I'm hoping people will comply with that request.

Onto the pics!

I'll start by posting the cab who's owner deserves all the accolades and respect worthy of one who has spent countless hours designing and perfecting this outstanding cab...

greenboy
    [​IMG]

Xbassmanx
    [​IMG]

WCunha
    [​IMG]

Tom B.
    [​IMG]

thudfromafar
    [​IMG]

Sundogue
    [​IMG]

Singlemalt
    [​IMG]

Sigurd
    [​IMG]

sabre79
    [​IMG]

rpsands
    [​IMG]

Robin
    [​IMG]

rob755
    [​IMG]

Pe2dwo
    [​IMG]

pathdoc2
    [​IMG]

Nightlyraider
    [​IMG]

neobassman
    [​IMG]

Nachoooooooo
    [​IMG]

masonjax
    [​IMG]

Lukejt
    [​IMG]

kahooli
    [​IMG]

grandpaslab
    [​IMG]

fookgub
    [​IMG]

Deb
    [​IMG]

dugdog
    [​IMG]

foz
    [​IMG]

bwoodman
    [​IMG]

And my personal favourite....

BurningSkies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

Phew! That took awhile.
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

4. rpsands

rpsands

Tens of loyal users!
  5. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    It's interesting to observe that in some cabs, the mid and tweeter seem to be jammed up right next to each other, while , in others, there is some space between. Also, on some cabs, the mid and tweet are practically on top of the woofer, while , on others, there is a space between. Personal preference, or was the spacing in later models modified in the plans ?
  6. WCunha

WCunha

I'm honored to be among this group.:D
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

You're correct. Later plan revisions brought the components closer to center.
  8. Sundogue

Sundogue

There were some modifications to the design. You have to remember that this design was years in the making. Some cabs may have been built early on.

Also, some people choose to follow the plans, and some choose to build and alter the plans for no reason other than cosmetics, not understanding the effect on the sound distribution.

The biggest issue is the distance between the mid and the horn. Lots of sound problems the more they are separated. Not so much of an issue for the player standing right in front of it, but the plans were designed for superior off axis response (even throughout a room) and deviating from those plans lessens that response.

The plans are very specific as to the placement and for good reason. There is no good reason to deviate from the plans. Just like many don't understand speaker placement on a stage, they don't get the reason for placement on the baffle either. Depends on how picky one wants to be with their sound.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I have a feeling that except for the nEarful shown, most here have followed the plans. But the plans have changed over time. My 15/6 is painfully accurate to plan (the builder claims variance of less than 1/16th of an inch). You can see how far to the left my mid driver is. Also, my 15/6 has bracing that is 'ventilated'. Soon after, that was also removed from the plans.
  10. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

This will be the first cab I purchase...to upgrade from my B20 practice amp.

Figured id just do it right from the get go.
  11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Wow. Very few people jump from practice cab to the last cab they'll ever want or need. ;) :cool:
  12. Sundogue

Sundogue

After talking with greenboy, there may be some further bracing mods done to the plans. I know that I used the additional bracing that is not in the plans, and further modification may be done later as well.

One of the great things about this design is that it was not rushed out the door to meet the demands of some bean counters. Its been years in the making, and any mods made to the design have only been done after careful consideration. As opposed to an alteration on a build based on a single phone call to a builder where it appears to have been "I don't know what effect it will have on the sound, but I guess that makes sense and it looks better" kind of thing.
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Media:
    I too think your build may be among the most attractive. Of course I would, as it looks a lot like a BE cab - :cool:

I really dig the "old swr" style grille that you and some others have used, that's always been my favorite grille style. Forgive me for not wading through all of the fEarful threads to find out, but is that grille material available from several places, or is there a specific supplier?
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Most of us got ours at Reliable (along with a bunch of other hardware)

Custom Speaker Grills and Covers

* edited to say Thanks! I appreciate it. I spent a fair amount of time trying to get it to look the way I like. I've had a number of people request the color code for that custom duratex, so you may see more in BurningSkies red.
  15. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

I will be gigging before the end of the year. I need something gig worthy and just trust the reviews that have been given. What you get for the price just can't be matched.

As i get older i'm starting to get the "Buy right the first time" thing.

now i need to settle on the cab i want... a few items are also making there way to ebay today!
  16. Aram

Aram Supporting Member

Man these look so awesome -- someone bring one to NYC so I can try. BurningSkies I'm looking at you man...come on, you know I went as far as Poughkeepsie once ;)
  17. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Come to the TB GTG this weekend in Rhode Island. There will be at least one there, along with two different Thunderchildren :)
  18. Aram

Aram Supporting Member

Maaaan, I would LOVE to, but I don't have a single free weekend until July! :(
  19. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I tend not to post on "true fEarful" threads because I wasn't present in the shop to see that each and every measurement was within the precise tolerances demanded... :D
    but it's as close as many others in this thread, and a beautiful, great sounding cab.
    I really need to get a pic with the Streamliner amp on it.

[​IMG]
  20. WCunha

WCunha

Doesn't anyone get together in the Chicago area? I wish I could go to one of those.