1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

fEARful cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KingRazor, Oct 30, 2013.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor

It appears that a number of different series of fEARful cabs have come out since the originals, such as the "bassics", "crazy 8s" and others. Is there an actual list of the different ones and their applications?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The bassic and crazy 8s are all fEARless models. The fEARful models can all be found on the fEARful webpage. I would imagine one of the AB's has a complete list of fEARless products. Only authorized builders (ABs) can access the fEARless plans.

Here is the site with all the fEARful models listed.

http://greenboy.us/fEARful/

3. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The fEarful's were/are open-source, free build plans available for whoever wanted. The later models are a bit different, with some more refinements and/or purpose-specific goals and are purchase only through an authorized builder network.

In other words, greenboy pretty much gave away his Fearful design as a favor to bass players all over the world. Then went into business with his later designs ( smart thing to do ).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

Yep, I understand that will, just wanted more info.

Thanks for the link OrangeJulius, that answered my question as to what models were available and their specs.

So I can see the differences in dimensions between each model, but can anyone explain the difference of a fearless cab vs a fearful cab of the same driver size?

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The Fearless are a bit more compact, but without giving up any useful lowend extension. Faital mids that are a bit smoother. More design work, prototyping, etc. in the HF components, and more involved, detailed, smoother crossover work. Also available in kickback/wedge format without giving up performance. When most people think of bass coming through a wedge, they think "yuck", at least I do. Not those. It's a proper wide-range bass cab that just happens to sit at an angle if you want it to. Stand it up and it's the same proper good bass cab. If you want to use a car analogy, I guess I would call the Fearful something like a big block muscle car but with better cornering and better brakes. The FearLess being something more along the lines of Porsche or Ferrari.

The Bassics and Dually's more reminiscent of old-school 15's but with better box design, lighter weight, and higher performance drivers without giving up the things people like about a classic 15/215.

The Crazy's use a high performance 8" Faital and can be expected to perform like a high-quality 210.

8. KingRazor

KingRazor

Alright, I think, since I wouldn't be going the DIY route that the FearLess is what I want. I also really like the wedge option.

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The forum is full of nice people. It's worth signing up just to check out the stuff. Being brand-specific, I didn't bother registering over there until I considered using his 15's as PA subs, but realoy, there's no reason not to. Good info, good helpful people and no pissing contests like TB. :D

10. KingRazor

KingRazor

One more question (purely hypothetical), if you would:

If I were playing at a large venue and didn't have IEMs, but there was sufficient PA/subs that I didn't need a big rig, do you think a FearLess 112 would be sufficient for a monitor?

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I'd think it would be if it was within reasonable distance from both you and your drummer....say 10-15ft. ?? as long as you've got a somewhat hefty amp to push it. (let's call that 250 clean watts @ 8ohms or better). The cab could handle getting hit with something bigger than that if you've got it. If it's your personal monitor, I'd say no problem, seeing as you're interested in the wedge, I assume you'd be less than a typical guitar cords length away.

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    It's also wide-range, clear, and widely dispersed...can run your whole monitor mix in there and not be lacking any lows or clarity...even when you're wandering around away from your mic position.

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    My estimations there are judging power, output, tone and distance with an ear towards keeping a good, full, proper, well-represented tone with "oomph" in it...not just whether or not you'll hear it, but rather you'll hear quality.

14. KingRazor

KingRazor

Awesome thanks for the help will

15. pwsharp

pwsharp

Just a thought - don't underestimate what an F110 can do (so I'm told)!

Also, checkout the fEARful map at the bottom of any of the FF forum pages. You might find someone with a cab in your vicinity who'd be happy to give you a test run :)

Peter

16. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have no experience with the F112, but I have several years of experience with a 12/6.

I don't work at war volume levels and a single 12/6 and an amp capable of 400-500 watts would cover 95% of my needs with or without PA support.

A pair of 12/6s and more power can make it nearly impossible to hear the drummer. And a stacked pair of cabinets looks better. :D

17. KingRazor

KingRazor

I mostly just like the wedge design. Pointing up at my face is a lot better than at the backs of my legs!

18. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Some nights the wedge sure does come in handy...I don't always use that feature, but I sure am glad it's there :)

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Never found hearing my 15/6/1 fEARful to be a problem on any stage. My ears are about 5' 10" off the ground i.e., not on the backs of my knees, LOL.

20. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I wonder how these compare to something like the xsonicx 215 or a 410 etc

21. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

My guess is more full low-end, closer to relatively flat and likely capable of taking alot more power. One of the many great things about fEARful cabs are they are sort of like a blank canvas... you can create alot of different tones thru use of eq.

Certainly not a one trick pony.