fEARful part 13: the bad luck's done, son

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by greenboy, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Come on Burnin'... let's see the stack!

Any new pics of your beauties?

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

I think I will go with the 18 sound in my 12/6/1, just in case I ever want to expand.

It won't see much stage use at first, but who knows what will happen down the pike.

For the times when I do run the 12/6 by itself, is there a way to turn down the 18 sound a bit so it doesn't overpower the 3012LF?

7. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, it's already in the crossover design specific to that configuration.

8. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

First page of the new thread! I need to post some pics of my cab with the "updated grill." I cut the bend off the grill I got from Leland. I cut just a little too much off, but it looks cool that way and most importantly, not a single rattle, zing, tick or buzz. Nuthin', not even at ear-bleed levels. I love my fEarful! I swear my playing has gotten better in the past month. Now that I love how I sound I want to play more and get off more while playing. It's awesome. The fEarful...not my playing so much. :oops:

9. rad bassman

rad bassman

now my rig is complete :)

click on pics for larger images.

whats it sound like?? ITS HUGE :bassist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks

Disclosures:
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    I missed this. Talk to me mike. I need to pics and to know what problem you were having.

11. danny_wylde

danny_wylde

subbed and pic ..

15/6 + 15/sub + 1500 Crest watts = repair the drywall time .. :bassist:

[​IMG]

12. mikeddd

Hi Leland,

I'm at work so can't post the "after" pictures of how I trimmed the grill but I'll try to explain the two issues I had with it.

Essentially, the H x W measurements were about 1/4" too big. So the grill really had to be muscled into place. Additionally, the bend on the grill was too long for the standoffs/rubber feet. So, as you tighten the screws to mount the grill, the bent edge contacts the baffle before the screws are tight, resulting in the "denting/bending" of the grill face you can see in the upper RH corner of this pic.

[​IMG]

In this pic, you can see fairly clearly how the grill is contacting the sides/top/port all around.

[​IMG]

This resulted in the grill buzzing pretty badly b/c it was not free floating on the rubber feet like it is now.

So, by the time I cut off the bent edges, my grill is roughly 1/2" too small in height and width, but it honestly doesn't look bad. You can tell it is just a "free floating grill" but it makes zero noise and still protects the drivers.

Hope I explained that adequately. Thanks for continuously striving to improve your products! We appreciate it.

13. mikeddd

@ Danny Wylde: NICE! Digging the matching amp rack too! How are you running them? Both cabs bridged on the amp, or one cab on each channel. I noticed both gains on the Crest are set the same. Have you found that the 15/6 is more sensitive than the 15Sub or vice versa? I will be building a 15Sub as soon as the flat packs are available.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm in!

[​IMG]

Plus some live shots, just for kicks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still loving mine! In fact, we will be featuring a story/review on the fEARful cabs in issue #7 (working on finishing it up now!). :cool:

15. dexter.nl

dexter.nl

Leland is the best in taking care of his costumers and products!

Anyways, new thread = good reason to post some pics :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really trying to find time to shoot some more pics (since I promised some fellas a few detailed shots...)

And subbed of course :smug:

16. danny_wylde

danny_wylde

Mono bridged the Crest, to the 15/6 then daisy chained the 15 sub , so now at 4 ohms ..

The crest still needs to have both channels set for the same output, even though its mono bridged.

It's plenty loud enuff and lots in the tank if I ever need it . ;)

I only done 1 rehearsal with both cabs so far, but the bottom end is just wicked ..

Again, the drummer's wife was bitching at me for knocking stuff around upstairs in their house, LOL ..

I had it arranged the way it is in the pic, but will try the inverted 15/6 trick as gb suggested next outing ..

both 15's seem to have the same movement, so gonna say pretty much equal ..

Still amazes me how good this rig sounds .. it's a keeper ;)

17. danny_wylde

danny_wylde

Can't wait to read the review Tom.. :bassist:

18. dexter.nl

dexter.nl

I've had two opportunities so far to test my new 15/6 on loud volume and :hyper::D:bassist:!!! I'm using the LMII to drive this beast, but I also have some distortion issues with the mid-driver (18sound) like some have posted about before. Since I'm not the most experienced in all this, how would one describe the distortion produced by the LMII?

In my case it's only on the attack of, let's say between the low G and A notes when I dig in (normal tuning). It's a very short distortion 'burst' with the LMII gain and master both at noon with a low level output active bass (in the range of passive output level).

Does this sounds like it's from the LMII or is something in cab responsible for such an issue? I'll walk through the cab tomorrow to check for air-leaks and bad soldering skills, but if it's really the LMII it'll make life easier (and more expansive I'm afraid :))

19. LowEnd88

LowEnd88

20. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

I took my 15/6 to the recent Twin Cities (MN) bass GTG at hdracer's place. Many people wanted to try it out - and every single one of them said something to the effect of "Wow!"

We recorded parts of our last gig using one of those little Tascam solid state digital stereo recorders. I have NEVER before heard the bass sit so clearly in the mix on a cheap-and-dirty live recording.

And besides that, it's green!

Attached Files:

21. mikeddd

@dexter.nl: I had very similar distorted sounds coming out of my 18Sound mid. I had mis-wired the mid crossover. Check the impedance of the cab. Along with the distorted mid, I noticed the clip light on my amp was coming on when I was barely getting any sound out of the cab. My cab's impedance was .8 ohms. Not 8 ohms, POINT 8 ohms. Several helpful folks immediately pointed at the crossover, I posted pics and sure enough I screwed up connecting one of the coils. 5 minutes w/the soldering iron and all was well.

I was getting distortion from the mid when playing any louder than if you were practicing at night and everyone else was asleep. I.E. basically at anything more than a whisper out of the cab.

Does that sound like your situation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.