fEARful precut flat pack - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mgcasella, Nov 4, 2012.

1. mgcasella

mgcasella

I'm seriously considering purchasing a fEARful 1515/66 Precut Flat Pack from speakerhardware.com

I have plenty of experience with woodwork and joinery work to be able to successfully build this cab so I'm not worried about that.

My questions:

1. Has anyone else has done this? If so, was the quality of the pack is decent?

2. Will I be able to find any of the speakers, crossover, etc at good used prices? I'm not even sure what fEARful uses, actually...

3. I want to get this covered with Line-X. Has anyone here done that? There's a place near me that does truck beds - is it possible to go there to get it done? I have no experience putting tolex on a cab which was why I was thinking of doing this :eyebrow:

Thanks for the info! :bassist:
  2. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I built a 15/6/1 from their flat pack, worked great, it's been my main cabinet for the past year or so. Leland (speakerhardware) has everything you need on the website, from speakers to crossover components to fully built crossovers. The recommended covering (and the easiest to apply) is DuraTex. I have no woodworking experience and it turned out great. This should be child's play for you, and you will end up with an amazing speaker cabinet.

For more info, check out http://www.greenboy.us/ , sign up for the forums here: http://greenboy.us/forum/ and you will get the most knowledgeable people helping you, including Dave (greenboy), who is the designer responsible for the fEARful plans.
  3. mgcasella

mgcasella

Whoa! I just found out that the second part of the package (crossovers, speakers, etc) will cost around $900! :eek:

It looks like there's no way I can afford one of these cabs - even if I build it and solder everything myself. I suppose I could use cheaper speakers, etc but I wouldn't know where to start.

Does anyone have any ideas, or alternatives to the Greenboy?
  4. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

$900 in addition to the flatpak does not sound correct considering you can get a cab built complete for just a bit more.

Register to disable this ad
  5. smeet

Call or email speakerhardware, Leland will help you. $900 sounds way too high.

Edit: checked out the site and youre right! My 15/6/1 was about half that but I shopped around and got my drivers from classifieds.
  6. Nate74

Nate74

I'm in the process of designing and building (maybe) a little 3 way cab with a 10/6/tw configuration and the speaker costs are the driving factor. In this case, you have two 15" speakers at $270/per... and those 6" speakers aren't cheep either...
  7. MichaelVee

MichaelVee Supporting Member

Leland does not sell the kits without the drivers, AFAIK that's still the case. I asked him about that a while back. He said he makes his money on the drivers, not the cabs and parts.
  8. mgcasella

mgcasella

I had a feeling he made money off the speakers - those particular ones definitely aren't cheap :meh: I can't blame Leland though - he has to make money somehow.

My hope is still that I could construct the box and get all the speakers etc from somewhere else just like Smeet did).

Questions:
    1.Does anyone have an actual list of the parts that come in the cabinet? The info on speakerhardware.com is a little confusing.

2. Is it possible to just use cheaper speakers etc? For example, use speakers without neodymium magnets, or would this screw up the entire design?
  9. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude Supporting Member

For the answer to:
    1) Go here: http://greenboy.us/fEARful/
    2) If You substitute the drivers in any way form or fashion, it is not a true fearful. The design is based on using the specified speakers and crossovers with no mix'n'match options.

Just curious, why do You need a 1515/66 cab? I know from personal experience that a 15/6 will do a heck of a lot, and for Me it replaced a very nice 215 cab.
  10. Nate74

Nate74

This can't be stressed enough. In my design efforts, the smallest change in any of the driver perimeters leads to a change in the box volume, porting and sometimes calculated crossover points. The world won't come to an end if you substitute a different driver but the chances it will sound decent is a guess at best.
  11. smeet

+2 to both above comments.

No driver substitutions! The 3015lf is a very special driver, nothing else I know of will produce those lows.
    and...
    Are you planning to use this with upright? Cuz, even a 15/6 would KILL with an upright. A 1515/66 would be just insane...

My 15/6 is more than loud enough for any venue I've played, and I often play loud rock clubs with no bass in FOH.

That said, I do want another 15 sub, so I understand the need for moving air, even if it's just an emotional thing. :)
  12. mgcasella

mgcasella

I am SO GLAD I posted here before making a purchase - all of you have been very helpful :D

In reference to the above questions and comments, I want a 1515/66 because it looks like it would just totally DESTROY the audience amidst a psychobilly gig. However, it definitely makes more sense - especially after reading everyone's comments - for me to try for a 15/6. I can always pair it with another later when I get more money :bassist:

Speaking of money, I checked speakerhardware.com again and it looks like there are COMPLETE kits (wood and hardware) and I have no idea why I didn't see it before.

Also, I hate to say it, but I've never assembled a cab wit so many parts (crossovers, etc) and I'm wondering if I should just hang on and wait for a used one to come up in the classifieds :ninja:
  13. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    They come up used, but not often...the BEST psychobilly rig IMO, is the FEARLESS 215...slightly better voicing for loud upright bass...that's what I use in my band (Legendary ShackShakers). On the DIY thing, a 15/6/1 would also kill...used one many times...then down the road you can build either a 15sub, or a 12/6/1cube to stack :)