fEARful seed planted.......

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MSGNoff, Nov 25, 2013.

1. MSGNoff

MSGNoff

Been wanting to drop the "Honey, I think I would like build a cabinet". Thought I'd hear the "What? Another speaker, AGAIN!" However, she actually thought it is a great idea. Sometimes a guy has to wait until "that" perfect moment to drop a bomb. ;)

In the processing of moving and our new place doesn't have a garage, so I will have to wait until summer for the dry weather here in sunny Oregon. Shooting for the 15/6/1 deluxe flatpack from Speaker Hardware at this point. Just under $700 for everything but glue, grill, insulation and some type of covering isn't bad at all. I have a few questions regarding the specifics I will ask later.

I currently run a MB 104hr. Anyone out there do an A/B comparison? I really love the punchy, cut thru the mix MB cabs offer, and I'm certain this fEARful won't let me down.

-Dave
  2. nick98338

nick98338

If you do order the "15/6/1 deluxe flatpack", it will come with glue. PL Premium, to be specific. The kit also has "insulation", or damping material. It's in the kit. It's true that the kit does not come with grill, or covering. However, you can order Duratex for covering, at the same time you order the "kit". The kit also comes with all the various screws, connectors, corners, feet... Very nearly everything you need to assemble the cabinet.
    I suggest that you visit the GB forum and check out the many build threads there. Ask your questions. They'll get answered by people who have actually built the cabs. And, maybe you can get to know someone, near you, that has a GB cab. They might let you try one out.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The reason MarkBass (I am guessing from product name) has a punch that cuts through the mix is because they have a noticeable bump in the low mids, that voicing will mask **** and make pretty much everything sound decent. The fEARful will be totally flat, so it will not mask a ****** sound. Since it is flat you can easily dial in any tone you'd like. If you run the same settings through the two cabs you will notice a big change in tone. I personally wanted a flat response, so I was eager to switch from MarkBass. I came from a 410 HF which replaced a 610 (old silverface, cannot remember model)

I hope that helps.
  4. MSGNoff

MSGNoff

Nick ~ Nice to know that insulation and glue is included. I must have missed that from their website. I plan on joining the GB forum when I begin the project.

Diabolus ~ Helps a bunch. I love the low-mid tone, especially when I add just a bit of dirt from my Sansamp Paradriver and the growl from a Jazz bass. I also run an SD800, so I'm sure I will be able to dial in something great from the fEARful.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nick98338

nick98338

No, you didn't miss things. There are several things that are included in the kit, that aren't specifically listed in the kit description. Little things. Gaskets for handles and jack plates. A square-drive screwdriver bit for the driver screws. Lots of little things. Leland; the guy who runs Speaker Hardware, includes all of this little stuff in his kits. It is a wonderful time saver. Ya don't have to go looking for all of this stuff.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

When I finished up my second, my wife asked when I would start my next project...and what speakers I would build next. Turns out she enjoyed me being into doing that kind of thing.
  8. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Also, you can help justify a fEARful build by letting your wife know that your other lesser cabs will immediately be listed Craigslist to defer the costs... and you won't be lying, because you probably WILL sell that old "junk" shortly.
  9. pwsharp

pwsharp

Well, she's a keeper! :)

Peter
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Good luck with the build. Its alot of fun... kind of an adventure. Wish I had a reason to build another, but I am very content with what I have.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Thus, us being married. :D

She's an painter, sculptor, ceramicist, metalworker herself. I believe once we have a house she would like a fully outfitted workshop space for her use as well as mine.