1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

fEARful sound clips?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slade, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slade

slade

so I've been following the love being shown for the fearful cabs, and am as interested as the next guy about adding one to my collection. One thing baffles me- why are there NO decent clips on youtube? If this cab outperforms every other cab out there (goes louder, deeper, cleaner) let's see some a/bs. Does anyone out there with a fearful have the ability to do some video with good audio? Kjung and JohnK are great examples of guys who put products out there for the rest of us to listen to.

With all of the fearful super freaks here I'm blown away there is little to no examples of the audio from any of these rigs. I want to hear the 15/6 go louder, deeper, and cleaner than an 810- I'll order one the next day!!

Come on fellas and gals- let's hear the fEARfuls!!!

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

As was just mentioned in the fEARful thread...

Here is a map to a lot of owners. Is there anyone near you?

3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

4. slade

slade

sorry, but I wouldn't consider either of those clips a decent portrayal of the cabs. Put an amp on top of a cab. Play it and record it. Put same amp on top of fEarful cab, play it record it with same bass and same amp set the same. Anyone?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slade

slade

cool map! Looks like mntngrown lives near me. You out there mntngrown?? I'm in Scotts Valley and would love to hear your rig!!

7. CL400Peavey

I would send him a PM.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I've sent him a message with this thread info, so hopefully he'll respond.

But for real. For most of us long time users, the recording thing is tough. Beyond not having a nice mic that can go low enough and high enough and also not distort when the cabs get loud and present what they can do, it's hard.

The other nice benefit of fEARfuls is that in a live setting, they sound like what you put in them, matching the DI sound pretty closely. Thus most of us don't ever think of micing them. Some of the benefits (like better mid range dispersion) aren't something you can portray on recording. That's why most of us direct people to try one if they can. It's not to obfuscate, its to actually have you have a representative experience. The only clips I currently have up are a Keyboard player friend of mine playing my rig live and without sound reinforcement. Unfortunately its an iphone recording and not bass. It still is pretty crazy though.

9. CL400Peavey

Most of us fEARful users love to let others demo our cabs. So anyone out there wondering should find a cab close to them and try it out.

If there is anyone in MI who wants to set something up they are more than welcome to come and try either of my cabs or A/B them with their cabs, using their head or any of mine.

Heck Ill bring a cab down to the local GC and we can piss of sales people.

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Look at it this way:

Asking for a clip to show off what a fEARful sounds like is like asking someone to explain what air smells like.

I love my amp (Mesa Bass 400+). I love my bass (Status S2-Classic). The sound that those two combine to make is "my sound". Some people need cab coloration to get "their sound". I don't. I just want the sound from my bass and head but really loud. The fEARful 15/6 showcases that sound with clarity and purity and the volume of a good brand's 610. It's perfect for me. Not for everyone.

But I love what the cabs for what BS is saying. What I hear through my cab on stage is what the audience here's through the FoH speakers.

But air is going to smell like whatever's around. Are you in a kitchen...a bathroom....by some factories? You'll get different answers everytime. The sound coming out of a fEARful cab will always be what's plugged into it....not the cab itself.

11. slade

slade

that's awesome! Let's hear what an "uncolored" cab sounds like a/b'd with a "colored" cab.

I understand the argument that fEARfuls don't color your tone- if that's really the case it would be super easy to demonstrate that- a/b it with a cab that the user would consider a cab that does.

One of you fEARful audiophiles has to have another cab and a decent recording device...

12. CL400Peavey

Get in touch with Mntgrwn, bring your cab and your recorder and do a unbiased A/B for everyone. I think a third party demo would have less likelihood of being taken out of context.

13. slade

slade

My rig isn't super portable- ProTools Digi 002 and IMac. hmmm... maybe I need to spring for a portable recorder just for this topic!

14. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

You have a pm slade.

15. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Then you'd still just be hearing the difference between the cab A/Bed and the amp and bass being used. The odds that it's the gear you are using would be astronomical.

The easiest way would be if you could end up getting with that guy or another fEARfuler and jam your rig on their cab.....or.....do you play gigs often that have a FoH? You could always DI in to the FoH and play on stage next to your cab and then walk off to the house speakers and hear the difference.

But any demo that someone makes would just end up being a demo for the other stuff they're using. Mesa cabs are going to color differently than Ampeg cabs....and Mesa cabs are going to color a GK head differently than it would color a Markbass head.

And the other problem with demoing fEARfuls is that, being uncolored, they're SO responsive to EQ. I could shift my EQ all over the place on my Eden rig and it didn't make much difference. I just touch the EQ a tad on my Mesa going into the fEARful and the difference is very noticeable. Playing styles and techniques are so much more noticeably different through a fEARful than other cabs, too.

The other thing that just makes the whole idea moot is that you're going to be listening to the demo through whatever speakers or headphones you have.....and the demo will be altered a little depending upon the recording device used.....

There's just so many variables that are different with a fEARful and other cabs that it's impossible to get a good idea out there unless it's you demoing it.....or a clone of you who plays the exact same way and with exact same gear.....I mean...someone could do it....but it's not going to be a valid demo at all....so no one really wants to put the effort into it.

16. CL400Peavey

I think it would be really interesting to get a 3rd party demo of a fEARful and other cabs. Something that is clearly explained with out any bias or smoke and mirrors. fEARful owners tend to be very boisterous about how much we like our product. For those that find that attitude to be anything but positive your review might give them a much better picture of what is going on.

If that encourages you to buy recording gear, go for it. Think of the versatility you would have, and how useful it would be! :D

17. slade

slade

right ;)

18. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have a lot of trouble understanding some people's obsession with sound clips. All they can possibley tell you in this case is what a cab (or cabs) sound like in one particular room, with one particular bass guitar, with one particuar amp and recording EQ setup, with one particular mic, in one particular location relative to the cab and drivers, into one particular recorder.
    And that's all without even adding the differences in everyone's playback systems.

Even doing a live A/B comparison requires multible trials with indentical equipment and settings, in multible rooms/environments to remove reflections, standing waves, etc. from the equation.

19. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I will say the one thing that concerned me about buying a fearful was hearing a thin, buzzy horn. I've played through other full-range, monitor-type cabs in the past. The result was not very pleasing to me. I would turn off the tweet, and turn down the highs immediately. This is not the case with fearfuls. Upper mids and highs smooth and clean.

20. slade

slade

I play with FOH usually twice a week, and I handle the stage sound for both of my bands and when no sound man is present I handle the house mix as well. I've spent many, many hours in top recording studios, as well as recorded and mixed quite a few records myself through Event 20 20s, Focals, JBLs etc. I very much so understand bass through studio monitors and the concepts that fEARful owners are touting. I can dig it...

I repeat though- if fearfuls are so uncolored, so sensitive, so deep, clear, precise, and loud- so much so that every owner I've seen here at TB claims there is no comparison to other cabs- it would be VERY obvious in a quick recording how drastic that difference is. Look- plug an amp into a fearful- set it flat- use a P-bass fully rolled on. Play a few simple, clean lines (musically preferred). Switch one simple cable to the cab that apparently doesn't stand a chance and repeat. There should be obvious differences if what everyone is saying is true. Headphones aside, this cab versus that. Can you hear the differences in these two cabs? Maybe we need to get the Bass Whisperer involved here??

21. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Which amp should I use? Kern IP-777? Thunderfunk 550B? Yamaha PB-1? Fender TBP-1? What bass should I use? Fender Am Std 5 with TI flats and alder body? Fender 60th anniv. with ash body and TI flats? What mic? A blue dragonfly? A Heil PR-40? Rode NTK? How about the room I am recording in? What cabs do you want me to use? I have a pair of Bagend 15's. Really, I could go through this entire exercise, and you will likely be impressed. However, it will contribute nothing to furthering your understanding of how amazing these cabs are.

I suggest you find someone in your area who is willing to demo to you. I would be happy to do so for those in the Southern New England region of the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.