fEARful suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lburton2, Nov 8, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I'm running into my 1515/66/1 and I love the cab.. The only thing is that it's hard to carry the thing down a flight of stairs and nearly impossible to do so by myself..

That being said, i'm looking at splitting the cab into a 15/6/1 and a 15/6 and have one of the cabs flipped so when I stack them vertically the 6's are right next to each other.

I'm hesitant because it's obviously going to cost more money to get the material together etc. Also, doing this take the 6's farther away from my ear and closer to my "Crotchal" region.

Suggestions?
    Insight?
  2. mbelue

mbelue

+1 for "Crotchal" usage.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +100

Yes if the stairs are narrow, carrying a 66 by yourself can be awkward. I can do it on a wide set of stairs, but not on in narrow passageways.

My best suggestion is get a friend to help you, and keep what you have.

Barring that, yes a 15/6/1 + 15/6 (mirrored baffle) is away to go with the components you have. I personally would want the mid drivers not right at head level, those suckers are loud.
  4. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    You may want to consider a 15/6/1 and a 15 sub... Lots of authority there :ninja:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I really dig the "top cab upside-down mirrored baffle approach" with my 12/6Cube/1 and 15/6/1. I also find that just one of these cabs will cover most gigs, so having the added flexibility and modularity would also be nice, I would think.

Plus, you'll have two nice "PA cabs!" :D
  7. rpsands

rpsands

I put my 66 wheels on the side and find it super easy to move up stairs with the wheels and big grab bar on the side
  8. Foz

Foz

I have a pair of rub rails on the backside of my 66 [they run up to about as high as the crotchtal area] and a piece of aluminium angle on the lower corner between the wheels.... so I can thunk it up a set of stars pretty easily walking backwards - but its even easier if I can get someone to grab the bottom.

As to going to setup with a sub-crotchal mid - the vertical dispersion of the 6.5" driver is such that I don't have problems even when I have to stand right in front of stand alone 15/6 - so I reckon you'll be fine whichever way you go.

If getting an easier load in/out is high priority you might be cheaper/easier all-in-all to skip build 2 new cabs and instead leave the 66 in an upstairs closet for gigging and build an alpha 12/6 for the basement. Or maybe even get a fEARless F112 or F115 - for the ultimate in crotchtal aiming???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://greenboy.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2082&start=34
  9. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I figured that the dispersion of the cab as a whole is good enough to not worry about a crotchally focused speaker height.

And I'm leaning more towards doing the two 15 cabs because I have the flexibility to just use one cab when the gig demands it.

I was also considering doing the 15 Sub with a 15/6/1 but that means I can't leave one of the cabs at home and the other at rehearsal space the majority of the time.. And if i'm running a sub and a 15/6/1 wouldn't I need an external crossover? If so i'd rather not go back to the rack equipment route.
  10. Foz

Foz

11. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I knew they had internal crossovers, I just figured I'd have to send an independent low pass signal to the sub. I guess I was wrong. It's an option, but I think I would have a more utilitarian rig with a 15/6 and 15/6/1.
  12. nickrs540

nickrs540

I don't know which would make more sense for you, but this is the reason my i'm putting a ton of handles on mine. I'm making this cab with the mind set that I will never need another. So i'm putting every possible idea into it.

I'm going to have two handles on the sides, two inset handles on top sortof like an ampeg 8x10, but inset and maybe one on the bottom for the rare moment I might have some help.
  13. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I'd suggest putting a handle at the bottom.. When someone is helping you with it up or down stairs, a handle at the bottom would be a great thing to have
  14. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Since you already have the drivers to make a 15/6 and a 15/6/1, I would go that route.
    I'd also bet that you will often leave one of them at home. You could probably sell your unloaded 1515/66 as well, or sell it complete and start over.
  15. mbelue

mbelue

Why stop there?
    Slap some full length skid rails on one side.
    That way you can ride that mama down the stairs sled-style.
  16. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

This . You could build one 15/6/1/ first , sell the empty 1515/66/1 cab and have enough money to cover the cost of the wood and other parts to finish another 15/6 . If you build them yourself you shouldn't be out much money at all after you sell the empty 1515/66/1 . One 15/6/1 can cover most gigs while you finish the second one . I'm 61 and carrying my 15/6/1 up and down stairs is pretty easy for me and mine is built out of Birch .
  17. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

Thats kind of the plan I have in mind. I just have to come up with the scratch for that initial 15/6/1 build. Thanks for helping me finalize my decision :)
  18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

You might also consider adding a 12/6 to a 15/6. It makes things even more portable. I really can't see needing more than that *ever*. Its nice to have a super easy to move cab like the 12/6 around to just grab and go... especially if you have stairs to contend with. As mentioned the 15/6 will handle the vast majority of gigs on its own without issue.

If I were really strapped for cash I would just go with one 15/6, built out of light wood, and use it for everything.
  19. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I see almost everyone goes with baltic birch.. What is the lighter but sensible altenative?
  20. Foz

Foz

21. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

I made my 15/6 out of Italian Poplar and came out with a weight of 43LBS which is only 3LBS heavier than the composite AoN 15/6 I had. The wood is very soft, but if you brace it well (I went overkill) and coat it with duratex, IP works great.