fEARful vs Barefaced

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MX5J6, Nov 9, 2012.

1. MX5J6

MX5J6

Here's the deal, I am going to be in the market for a new rig in the next few months. I have been looking deeply into both fEARful and Barefaced cabs but I really don't know which to choose. So I would really like to hear from owners of either or maybe even both.

I will be getting a custom 5-string bass and more than likely drop tunng it. So I need something that can handle those deep lows. Though I don't know if I want to skip out on the highs just because of that? I play metal, mostly the heavier stuff so my bass will have some nice growl to it and Ineed somethin that can reproduce that. I also need to cut through two drop tuned guitars and drums.

So here is the problem, the Barefaced and fEARful cabs are both priced pretty close with Barefaced seemingly a little cheaper shipped (I have no idea how this is poissible?) but will probably take longer to get here.

They have cabs that seem pretty comparible and have counterparts from the opposing builders, however there are some differences in the choicesas well.

Size is also an issue as anysingle cab over 37" may not fit in the trunk of my car. Weight is another issue which is why I am going custom built over other mass produced cabs so try to refrain from suggesting anything other than a fEARful or Barefaced.

I will probably be using either the Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 12.2 or 9.2 as the head so I have around $1700-$1900 to spend on a cab or cabs right now. I can always add to it later but I need somthing to get me started.

I was personally looking at these fEARful cabs.

12/6/1
    12 Sub
    15/6/1
    15 Sub
    1212/6/1

And these Barefaced cabs.

Midget T
    Compact
    Big Baby T
    Big Sub
    Super Twelve T
    Big Twin T

So with these choices and the choice between th GB ShuttleMAX 12.2/9.2 which combination should I go for? Should I add another cab later on? If so, which should I add?

So please tell me bou your experiences, tell me what you have or have worked with and what other heads you have used or do use. What would you recommend for me? Any and all recommendations and opinions will be heavily taken into consideration and appreciated.
  2. KJung

KJung

IMO, if you are in the EU, Barefaced, if you are in the US, fEARful or an LDS model. All will serve you well with the head you mention and your tone goals and application.

The biggest difference is between the 3015LF loaded cabs with the mid drivers (BIG low end, etc.) and the more vintage vibe of some of Alex's cabs like the 212 with tweeter.

PS You would want the Shuttle Max 9.2, not the 12.2, since these cabs are 8ohms, for the most part.
  3. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

Big Twin is the best bass cab ever.

Not kidding.......

Now let the flaming commence!!
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

I would be looking at the 9.2 paired with either a pair of fEARful 12/6 alpha's ( one with mirrored baffle), maybe a 1212/6, or a 15/6. The 15/6 will be your best bang for the buck.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MX5J6

MX5J6

Why do you think it's the best cab ever? Just looking for reasoning as that is a big chunk of my budget but if you think it is worth it and can explain why I would be more than happy to really consider it.
    Would you recommend I add something else to that 15/6 later on?
  7. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I'm looking at this configuration for next year as well because I too have space restrictions in my car, though I'd be going with a GK 800MB or 1001RB for amplification.

You can also go with a 12/6 (using the 18Sound mid) and add a 15sub for larger gigs.
  8. MX5J6

MX5J6

Makes sense. As much as I like the look of the Big Twin i think a more modular rig would probably benefit me more, though that isn't to say the larger rigs are out of the question just yet.

So either a 12/6 or 15/6 and possibly a 15 Sub later on?
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Why cut greenboy's newer designs out of the discussion then?
  10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    For your needs I would start with the 15/6. You may be really surprised at how loud that cab can get by itself. Depending on your volume/tonal needs, you may end up wanting a second cab. Depending on how you like your mids a 15sub would make sense, but a second (mirrored baffle) 15/6 would give you two stand along cabs. One at home, one at practice, both at a show.
  11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    He is down tuning. The fEARless cabs are fantasic, but if he is going below drop A he will be happier with the fEARful cabs.
  12. MX5J6

MX5J6

I am still pretty new to finding out about greenboy and other custom cabs, so which are the newer designs by greenboy? Do you mean the Bassic and fEARless? Or is there something else i am missing?

Btw drop D or drop C is what I am aiming for if that helps.
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Makes sense, missed that part.
  14. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I believe he was referring to the fEARless line. The are great cabs, and for a lot of people's use, may be better than the fEARfuls. If one is tuning below low A though, the fEARful cabs are king.
  15. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

Is that going to fit in his trunk?
  16. MX5J6

MX5J6

I forgot I am talking about a 5-string not a 4-string so i guess A would be what i am after? I don't know tons about 5-strings yet, I still play on a 4 but am looking to go for a 5 for my band and side project.

A 15/6 will fit in my trunk, it's pretty spacious but it's no SUV or anything.
  17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Realistically how loud do you need to be?
  18. MX5J6

MX5J6

For practice at home I don't need to be hugely loud, I can play in my garage if the sound is a little too much for my room, but when I practice or play with my band I need to be heard over blast beat drums, and two drop tuned guitars. It can get pretty loud and the rest of the band is also looking to upgrade their rigs soon though what they have now is pretty loud. i don't know how else to describe it other then I need to fill at least small/medium sized gigs. We aren't really out there yet but we are growing at a pretty fast pace.
  19. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Oh yes i am sure it would. A 15/6 is only 20" wide and 30 " high....heck a 1212/6 is only 36"high, 20" wide and only 14 3/4" deep. not very big for a Cab that can do soo much!! If you har looking for just a nice Kick A$$ single cab that can go Deep the 15/6/1 is your cab.....i Mean they are all great even a 12/6 is Killer for its size, And if you are wanting to expand then that would be a great way to go esp with adding a 12 sub. I have both the Marshal fullstack killer 1515/66/1 and its lil brother the 15/6/1 and i love both them cab equally.....i have drop tuned down to a low F# just for $h*ts and giggles and Both Handle it unlike anything i have ever played through..... Now i am in the Market for a 12/6/1 Cube for something small and light to pack around for well just about anything i dont need the 66 for. Best of luck with your Search....i know you can not go wrong with ether the fEARful or barefaced Cabs....as For me i am a Big fEARful fan But in the End it is what ever does the Job for you....it does not matter what i or anyone else likes.....it what works for you!! ;)
  20. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Then you should be looking at a 15/6 or a pair of 12/6's with alpha mid drivers. Any way you go the cabs won't be your limiting volume factor.
  21. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I've been using a pair of 12/6s for the past couple of years, most of that time with a G-K 1001RB-II and more recently with a ShuttleMax 9.2. (I see no reason to buy a 12.2 unless you foresee running mismatched cabs.)

I don't play metal, but have supplied my rig as backline for metal (and similarly loud) bands. I can state without reservation that a single 12/6 will not cut it against 2 cranked half stacks. A pair of them or a 1212/6 can handle the job provided you have enough amp to push them and you EQ appropriately.

That said, a 15/6 has roughly the same sensitivity as a pair of 12/6s or a 1212/6 but, being 8 an ohm load, won't draw as much juice from the amp. Pretty much a wash.

If transportation space is limited, I'd recommend 2 x 12/6 cabs. If space is available, I'd say go with a 15/6 now and add a second one if needed.